Tuesday evening fun

NickB65

Just a quick update as I will write up something later but last night I managed to get away from work for a little pigeon shooting.

Same field as normal as they really like the wild flowers and rape mix. I was a little later than planned and was set-up and ready at 4pm..... I packed up at 6:30 after some great sport and 25 pigeons later.

More importantly I had fixed my shooting problem where I was just not connecting with the birds and the 25 were shot for just 46 cartridges.

Pictures and full write up later.....

Oh and the fix to my problem was to add another inch and a half to the stock using a slip. Even though I had the gun extended by an inch and a half I thought I would dtry the extra length as I just could not get consistent..... last night I had some cracking shots... but on double :-(

Oh and the fix to my problem was to add another inch and a half to the stock using a slip. Even though I had the gun extended by an inch and a half I thought I would dtry the extra length as I just could not get consistent..... last night I had some cracking shots... but on double :-(

Sounds like a good afternoon. But I'm intrigued about the stock. Adding an inch and a half at a time isn't a small increment. What's the length of pull now?

Tom

Edited by TriBsa

Well I had a series on interviews to do at work in the morning and there was always the chance I could get away early for a little pigeon shooting. The first three interviews went on longer than planned but due to two witnesses keeping short and sweet I was home and out again with some time in hand.

I arrived a little later than hoped but was set on the rape field by 4pm. Now the rape field as I have stated is only 50% rape and 50% wild flowers due to flea beetle. The farmer has ploughed the edges of the filed where the wild flowers were which meant I had to set-up on the edge of the rape field. The night before I had watched one of the YOUTUBE channels and a guy setting up in the rape field and having a good day so I thought why not. The hide was smaller than I was sued to with just enough room to load the gun and not much else. I had draped bits flora over the netting but to me it still stuck out like the tardis in the middle of a field...... With the decoys in an L shape and what little wind there was to my rear left I was ready. Now I had been having a few issues with consistency so I added a slip I had which was 1.5 inches long - a bit dramatic but it was all I had so I gave it a go.

I started standing but the pigeons were coming in but not close enough so I sat on the stool and lowered the netting so I could shoot sitting down. Well within 10 mins of doing this my first bird came in and dropped with one shot. A lull of a few minutes and then I had them coming in steadily in ones and two's. Most I was dropping with a single shot while some of the easier ones I was missing. Those I missed I knew as I pulled the trigger I would miss due to rushing, not mounting the gun properly due to it being caught up in the net or just being too keen. Those I took my time with and relaxed with I was dropping consistently. They started coming in head on and then as the weather changed, the wind picked up and the drizzle started then came from the left. After the rain they came from the right and then from behind.... As long as I took my time and relaxed I was dropping them..... when they started to come from the right I was hitting them as the feather flew but they flew on for a bit climbing and then dropping in the wheat field dead. So I assume I must be hitting them in the lung to cause such a delay ? When it got quite I would move the decoys around a little, move the bouncer and "tweak" the pattern and then they would come again.

Not a huge bag but for a few hours sport it was heaven.... I got drenched dragging the kit back to the car walking through the crops but I did not care. As I got in the car to drive off I could still see the birds coming in where I was so I knew I could have bagged more........

The pull on the gun is now 16.5inches which for me seems to work well. I am going clay shooting at Kennet tonight so we shall see if it was a one off or hopefully the answer to my problem.

Sounds like a good afternoon. But I'm intrigued about the stock. Adding an inch and a half at a time isn't a small increment. What's the length of pull now?

Tom

I only had a 1.5 inch stock slip which is why it was such a huge increase and I only tried to it as an experiment. Tonight I am clay shooting so hopefully we shall see if this was a one off or the answer :-)