Robin's round. Magic moments

birdsallpl

After reading Robin's round in this BASC it got me thinking of some of my Magical experiences over the years whilst out in the field. I thought it would be good for forum members to share some of there 'relevant' Magical experiences. I will start with one of my more memorable.

I have a lucky hat which is an old army argy type with fur inside, when the flap is up there is a ring of fur showing around it. Any way Whilst Wildfowling one morning flight I was in a deep creek, the sun had just started to rise and a heavy frost was moving across the merse turning everything white. It was a truly beautiful morning and I was just looking into the horizon waiting for the geese in a kind of totally relaxed way we all know. All of a sudden there was a tremendous whack on the top of my head. It obviously woke me out of my trance very quickly and I was a bit shocked to what could have happened when instantaneously a female peregrine landed about twenty feet in front of me, it turned looked at me with a look of complete disgust for a few moments before taking off and carrying on over the marsh. I have been close to many peregrines but never that close to a true wild one. A magical experience never to be forgotten.

Over to you now

I always like hearing the warblers and buntings waking up at first light when im buried deep in the phragmites early season. I've had them eyeballing me within a few feet and not the slightest bit bothered. Seems a shame to ruin the moment with gun shot

There's been a few, the best was when I was salmon fishing in British Columbia, me and my guide jumped in a float plane at 3am and landed at an inlet, it was a misty morning and we could see deer on the shore. Any way after setting up and catching a 12lb chinook , my guide said "we're being watched" on the other side of the inlet there was a pack of timber wolves sniffing the air and looking in our direction.it was awesome and scary at the same time. I said jees how do we sort them out if they cross the river, he opened his jacket and shown me his Smith and Wesson magnum 500. He let me fire off a couple of shots at a log on the shore, a proper wrist jerker,

What a great morning all round,

Atb

Flynny

Too many to come up with one that stands out, but when I was keepering I always used to love sitting out on the hill for first light, going up in the dark getting laid out and just listening to everything waking up as the light comes in, then there's that half hour or so where time seems to stand still and you can sit and appreciate how lucky I was to be getting paid to do this! I used to love it when I'd pick up a fox coming back to lie up, watching him hunting mice and checking the wind and the reactions of all the other animals round about reacting to his presence. I always used to try and watch him for as long as I dared without loosing my shot, even if he was a fox that had been running rings round me for weeks I always used to feel a wee pang of guilt for admiring him for so long then disturbing the peace of the hills shooting him, and feeling sorry for him lieing dead in the heather, but that didn't last long when my mind soon turned to the grouse and other things that were safe for the time being. It's something I always loved doing and used to feel sorry for all the folk going to their work I would pass in the morning thinking you have no idea what you're missing!

There's been a few, the best was when I was salmon fishing in British Columbia, me and my guide jumped in a float plane at 3am and landed at an inlet, it was a misty morning and we could see deer on the shore. Any way after setting up and catching a 12lb chinook , my guide said "we're being watched" on the other side of the inlet there was a pack of timber wolves sniffing the air and looking in our direction.it was awesome and scary at the same time. I said jees how do we sort them out if they cross the river, he opened his jacket and shown me his Smith and Wesson magnum 500. He let me fire off a couple of shots at a log on the shore, a proper wrist jerker,

What a great morning all round,

Atb

Flynny

Something I would love to do. I have done Canada and Alaska but with wife so no chance of hunting. Glad we don't see wolves over here, I would c**p myself, but a great experience all the same