Makes it all worthwhile

Went out for some lazy decoying yesterday afternoon.

I set up in a deckchair under a hawthorn bush backing onto a small wood with a cammo net in front of me. I have to take it easy because I suffer from parkinsons so I decided just to shoot from a laidback position anything I could see in front of me. I had 6 crow decoys out and 9 half shell flocked pigeons and two floaters.

It was blazing hot and action was slow but I got the occasional shot and ended with 24 a mixture of woodies, ferals, rooks and jackdaws but what made it for me was the following: I shot at a woodie, a long crosser as it disappeared into the wood. I thought I had missed it but Biscuit my lab thought different. At the sound of the shot he raised his head and listened and then with a questioning look at me went off into the wood and came back with one very dead pigeon. There was no way he saw me shoot at the bird but must have heard the pellets strike and the fall in the wood. He has done this several times before watching the bird and listening for the fall. Shooting with a dog doubles the pleasure so get a dog!

There was no way he saw me shoot at the bird but must have heard the pellets strike and the fall in the wood. He has done this several times before watching the bird and listening for the fall. Shooting with a dog doubles the pleasure so get a dog!

I agree, they are remarkable :yes: Bearing in mind how limited their line of sight is from 15" off the ground, its incredible how quickly they learn if ones been hit or not and the ability to judge distance and direction never ceases to amaze me :good: