To buy or not to buy

Wookie

I've always been a dog man (no sniggering at the back!) and despite being a cat owner at present, I'd really love to get another dog. As a child I had a Setter (mad), two Flat Coats (mad) and a Golden Retriever (mad) and, as I am getting into shooting again, I'd like to continue the tradition and get another gun dog.

Ideally I'd like a Springer as they have always been my favourite dog, but I've got several things going against me:

1) I work a lot (9+ hours a day_ and I can't always be sure of getting back at lunchtime to take said dog for a walk

2) I have a cat

3) I have to drive a fair bit, usually a couple of times a week with an overnight stay.

4) Work won't let me bring a dog to work (something about health and safety or some other ********)

Now, the weekends are not a problem, even though about half the time I head off to see the GF (she loves dogs too) as I will be able to take it with me and I know for a fact that it will get loads on exercise then. But... I do not want to get a dog if there's even a chance that the poor thing's going to be cooped up in the house all day.

I've thought about a rescue dog (I gave my cat a second chance of life outside the RSPCA), but they need as much attention to get settled in as a puppy (maybe more) and, even if they are housetrained, they'll still need exercise and a good run outside and again, it's not fair to leave them locked up all day without company.

WHat should I do? Wait until I can give a dog a proper life (like if I work from home or get work to let me stick a run up) or until the GF moves in, or just forget the idea? I'm basically stuck at thinking this through myself and I need advice, even though I think I know what the answer is going to be.

By the way, this has got zero to do with all the posts of sweet little puppies going up! I know what **** they can be at that age despite their looks and I know how much work they are. But yes, if a door to door Springer salesman came round right now, I'd have one!

Wookie

I've always been a dog man (no sniggering at the back!) and despite being a cat owner at present, I'd really love to get another dog. As a child I had a Setter (mad), two Flat Coats (mad) and a Golden Retriever (mad) and, as I am getting into shooting again, I'd like to continue the tradition and get another gun dog.

Ideally I'd like a Springer as they have always been my favourite dog, but I've got several things going against me:

1) I work a lot (9+ hours a day_ and I can't always be sure of getting back at lunchtime to take said dog for a walk

2) I have a cat

3) I have to drive a fair bit, usually a couple of times a week with an overnight stay.

4) Work won't let me bring a dog to work (something about health and safety or some other ********)

Now, the weekends are not a problem, even though about half the time I head off to see the GF (she loves dogs too) as I will be able to take it with me and I know for a fact that it will get loads on exercise then. But... I do not want to get a dog if there's even a chance that the poor thing's going to be cooped up in the house all day.

I've thought about a rescue dog (I gave my cat a second chance of life outside the RSPCA), but they need as much attention to get settled in as a puppy (maybe more) and, even if they are housetrained, they'll still need exercise and a good run outside and again, it's not fair to leave them locked up all day without company.

WHat should I do? Wait until I can give a dog a proper life (like if I work from home or get work to let me stick a run up) or until the GF moves in, or just forget the idea? I'm basically stuck at thinking this through myself and I need advice, even though I think I know what the answer is going to be.

By the way, this has got zero to do with all the posts of sweet little puppies going up! I know what **** they can be at that age despite their looks and I know how much work they are. But yes, if a door to door Springer salesman came round right now, I'd have one!

Wookie

I know you desperately want one wookie, but not being around for most of the day is not fair on any dog, esp a mad energtic springer! At the mo we are puppy training my lucy which is currently a 3 person round the clock affair with us all doing shifts. With your work pattern you would never be able to puppy train her let alone give her the necessary exercise etc. So i would say forget it until you can provide more people time for the dog either you or the gf. Althou don't move her in just so you can get a springer, as althou the springer wont give you any gip the gf's always do! :)

2) I have a cat

Wookie

I know you desperately want one wookie, but not being around for most of the day is not fair on any dog, esp a mad energtic springer! At the mo we are puppy training my lucy which is currently a 3 person round the clock affair with us all doing shifts. With your work pattern you would never be able to puppy train her let alone give her the necessary exercise etc. So i would say forget it until you can provide more people time for the dog either you or the gf. Althou don't move her in just so you can get a springer, as althou the springer wont give you any gip the gf's always do! :no:

Hi Wookie, having had two springers and several labs in my time my advice would be to wait until your circs change so that you can devote all the time needed, a springer is Imho one of the best all round gundogs but at a price, they demand 24/7 love and attention, without this they can go off the rails and pine all day while your at work, often incurable destructive habits set in. A lab is far easier going but any dog should be treated as part of your family and you wouldnt leave a child alone all day would you? Good Luck D2D :)

It's just as I thought... Good sense was telling that it's a bloody stupid idea, but that little part of you that remembers going for long walks with a dog as a child just keeps having its say.

I'm pretty certain I can resist getting a puppy, but just be prepared for me to make a fuss of any dogs that I see.