scope choice.Advice please

kapow

I am new to airgunning.I have been going to a gallery for several weeks and decided I need my own rifle so I can get away from using theirs and struggle with the generAl setup for all users.the range is indoor and 25y max.i can go up to 45y out door in the summer.

I have been struggling on rifle choice,mainly AA 510 or HW100s.pretty sure I will go for the HW,just wish thd walnut was like the AA.

I havd been told by the gallery 3-9x30 is ideal and illumination not required as I do not hunt but others seem to havd x-x-40.

I know the shop will help but I would like to have some idea of what I need also cost.in mags they seem to start 45 quid.i think I can go to apx 200.

Any advice would be great

Whoa why go so expensive? Had a look at the Hatsan AT44? In either synthetic or wood stock, supplied with 2 magazines as well. Very accurate and nicely built this may be a cheap gun but it has a lot of features that you would pay a lot more for!

Second the new kid on the block, the Walther Rotex, superb shot count, it uses the same magazines as the Air Magnums so that means 2 new mags for £20 or so! Then look to a scope you can get on with. I would recommend Hawke but I have found that Hawke glass suits my eyes! I have Hawke Night Eyes on my PCP rifles as they work well for me and with the SR scope I can shoot accurately to 70 metres given ideal conditions!

+1 for Hawke scopes. :good:

Not only are they excellent value for money, but they also have a limited lifetime guarantee that Hawke will honour [usually] without hassle. The glass is very good, giving a nice clear sight picture. I would go for at least a 12x magnification scope. I shoot smallbore rifles at 25 yards, and frequently use a mag of 20 or more. A lot of people may think it is OTT, but with a variable mag scope you can always turn it down if you want to.

Another make that's worth a look is Nikko Stirling. They also make excellent scopes for the money, and their Mountmaster range includes reasonable quality mounts in the price.

A 40mm or 50mm objective lens will be ideal. Not all ranges are well lit, so a larger lens will generally give a brighter image.