Internet Problem.

Mike737

Any help would be welcome for this please.

We use a pair of Tenda P200's to connect our internet to the TV. The house is a very old farmhouse, with thick walls, and the wifi will not reach through the house to the Sky box (even with a BT extender), to allow on demand, catch-up, box sets downloading etc.. However, they have stopped communicating with each other, so no internet to the Sky box. I have tried re-pairing them, pressed the reset button, left them unplugged for a day then tried to pair them again, put them in a double socket next to each other etc., etc., but to no avail. They are (of course) just over a year old, so out of warranty... If I was to hard-wire to the Sky box from the router it would take about 70 feet of cable, going around 5 door frames, so not easy. The Tenda website is less than helpful, just suggesting pairing them again, so any help from the collective wisdom of the PW knowledgable would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike.

Yes, I've tried all that, and although they are 'cheap enough' if I can find a fix without buying new ones, that would be preferable. Thanks for coming to my defence! Aris, they do indeed work (when working) through the house mains, and they worked fine for just over 12 months.

Mike.

Yes, I've tried all that, and although they are 'cheap enough' if I can find a fix without buying new ones, that would be preferable. Thanks for coming to my defence! Aris, they do indeed work (when working) through the house mains, and they worked fine for just over 12 months.

Mike.

If you do replace, consider getting home-plugs with wifi. Not only do they provide Ethernet at the other end - but also provide wifi connectivity at that end of the house too - essentially a wifi access point extended via the mains instead of Ethernet. Something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBRGW8

Does sound like they are caput. I use homeplug extenders myself with wireless extenders. It isn't always as hard as it seems to run an Ethernet cable for eg: I have run them outside before and doesn't take too long. Not that expensive either. But homeplug adapters are the most practical.

It isn't always as hard as it seems to run an Ethernet cable for eg: I have run them outside before and doesn't take too long.

Indeed - this is what I do too. At the time I was concerned that the cable was going to deteriorate outdoors - but it has been 10 years and still OK. Of course this is not always possible, and home plugs are the next best bet. The wifi+homeplug option is a great one - particularly in older homes with what seem like lead lined walls blocking wifi signals. Just set the same SSID on the remote access point and your devices will roam seamlessly with whichever signal is strongest.

Jonty, they worked fine for just over a year, then just stopped communicating. The power signal light on each illuminates, as does the LAN symbol. but the house symbol is not illuminating. I had previously tried a 'Wireless-N' wiifi extender, but could not get that to work at all. My brother, who was visiting me from San Francisco and is very tech savvy said 'we'll get that running in no time', but admitted defeat half a day later... I've fitted a BT extender now, which pairs using wireless WSP buttons to the BT home hub, and that gets me a weak signal to the living room, but not good enough for the Sky box to download through the little plug in box they supply.

I liked the simplicity of the homeplug type of device.

Aris and Carman06, I wasn't aware of the availability of a system that does both. If I can't get the existing ones to kick into action again I will get a set of those and give them a whirl. Thanks for the help everyone.

Mike.