Silver pigeon 20g stock and 30" barrel

sishyplops

Hi all I'm picking up a silver pig 20bore tomorrow and am predominantly buying it for my 11 yr old, as I will use it as well I don't want to cut the stock down for him so I'm looking for one, also interested if anyone has a set of 30" barrels, I'm unsure if multichoke will fit as its fixed but I will ask the question on another page, I would be happy with fixed as I don't be bovved to change them anyway

Thanks

Just so you understand a bit more about what you are trying to do.

Firstly, SP barrels are not directly interchangeable. Each barrel is individually factory fitted, and you can't just take a barrel off another gun and fit it to your action, you will need a gunsmith to lap the second barrel in to fit - and if a second barrel is already lapped to another gun it could be undersized for you gun, and therefore sloppy in the action and potentially off the face as a result.

While stocks are interchangable, its still not an on-the-moment job, remove the pad with a crosshead screwdriver, and then you need the correct stock T bar to access the stock bolt that's up a long hole in the wood. Unscrew, pull off the action, and put the other stock on. Will take a few minutes. Usual solution is to gut the stock you have to 13" or so for an 11 year old, and use a rubber / neoprene, or leather boot onto that stock to get an adult pull length for your own use.

An 11 year old will be seriously handicapped trying to shoot with an adult 14 1/2" pull, likely to be leaning back to cantilever the gun weight, and will inevitably lift their head. Also, comb height for an 11 y/o will be too low, and you will need a comb raiser ( consider the Beartooth comb raisers and stock boots).

Bottom line is it would be better to buy a second gun, and have one set-up for the lad, and the other as a std adult gun for you. Will be far easier, and could well be cheaper as you don't need to buy another SP, plenty of Lanber / Medallist / Laurona / Lincoln etc around in the £300-£500 range

Thanks Clayman but i'm fortunate in that I know what i'm doing so i do understand what I am trying to do, as a qualified engineer with over 30 yrs experience I fully appreciate what is involved, also I do not want a laurona , Lanber, medalist or Lincoln , but thank you again for your input, my question was do MULTICHOKE barrels fit a fixed choke action as they do not on some actions, Winchester being the one I have tried, as the centre rib is wider to accommodate the thicker choked tubes thus leaving the top tube sitting high on the action, I know that a set of barrels will not fit straight on without a gunsmiths intervention, even though a as qualified toolmaker I feel sure I could do this myself,

"An 11 year old will be seriously handicapped trying to shoot with an adult 14 1/2" pull, likely to be leaning back to cantilever the gun weight, and will inevitably lift their head. Also, comb height for an 11 y/o will be too low, and you will need a comb raiser ( consider the Beartooth comb raisers and stock boots)."

This is precisely why i am after a spare stock so that it can be cut down to fitted to him!!!

Thanks anyway