Laser range Finder.

dr_nick

I dont know about you but I find that I can guess ranges up to 30 meters but after that I have a real problem getting the range right. With air guns & rimfire .22LR knowing the right range is essential. So i found out that B.A.R. have a special offer of a Hawk 300 laser range finder @ £100 down from £169. Bargain methinks, so I send off my hard earned brass margets and wait to see if its worth the dosh.

Well,

The answer is yes. Its accurate, gives a clear picture and takes the reading in a split second. A lot of the old guys have said you dont need one, but when coupled with the excellent "AirGun Version 7.5" prog that works out you balistics for any pellet you use and knowing that your the exact range of your quarry, it is as close to perfect as you can get. It makes life a lot easier when you know that your quarry is within a safe range and how much to hold off by. This by definition makes for a quicker and more humane kill.

Oh and there is the bonus of learning just how far out you are when estimating a certain distance.

Or you could just get more experience regarding the airgun.

I dare say that it is very usefull for FAC though.

LB

Its not the gun I need practice with, its just the range! The tables are a good start in learning where your pellet is going though. .177 12ftlbs has a 2 cm variation to 30meters but a 5cm variation to 40 (when zeroed to 30m). Thats a lot of guess work, .22 is even worse, with HMR its redundant.

Still its a good bit of equipment and cheap too ( The software being free)

Went out with the new toy last night, 6 rabbits on my small permission. This gizmo makes stalking a breeze, I just crept up to exactly 30 meters (Previously I reckon I would have gone 5 - 10 meters closer). Bunnies didnt bat an eye lid.

Now for me, the confidence boost from knowing exactly when I was in range and seeing every rabbit back flip into the air from perfect head shots was well worth the £99. I know its not for everyone, but if like me you hate missing a shot, or worse still seeing something limp off then it might be worth a look.