Just acquired a Greener GP MK 1 of 1962 vintage - question about block

Evilv

I just bought a 1962 Greener GP MK1 12 bore shotgun. Lovely Martini action. Works great and I think I will shoot well with it. Great pattern too out of the 1/4 choke barrel.

The gun seems to operate flawlessly, but I have noticed that with the block shut (in battery) and with the gun un-cocked ( I released the striker while controlling the release using the cocking lever), I can move the nose of the block a few thou up and down. With the action cocked, this doesn't happen. I'm just wondering how that slight looseness will play as the gun is fired. In that situation, the play will be possible at exactly the moment it is under maximum stress from the reaction of the cartridge trying to blow back out of the breach. I'm wondering first is this normal, or a sign of a worn action, and second will the hammering of the block in the action make things deteriorate.

Probably concerned about nothing here, but if you are familiar with these old work horses I would appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Edited by Evilv