I want a quieter life (Silencer)

Webley75

Hello all,

I'd like some advice please.

I have had a 'Webley Tracker .177' gasram for the last ten years. I'm happy with that - yes, its heavy, but I only go rabbiting in the nearby fields once ever couple of months so it suits my needs. Recently a large tree in one of those fields died. It's bare branches are now a regular resting spot for loads of pigeons - an opportunity I don't wish to miss.

Blackpool Air Rifles are selling a 'Webley universal Silencer' for £24.95. I was expecting to have to pay £40 + for a silencer.

Does anyone have any experience with this silencer ? Would it suit me ?

Also - do silencers reduce the velocity of the pellet ?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Regards

Webley75

The silencer shouldent reduce the velocity.

I have a volumetric silencer on my BSA (came as standerd) I find it works quite well.

However if you are shooting woodies which are sitting by each other, I think one falling off a branch with a .177 shaped whole in it is going to cause the others to leave, silencer or no silencer.

quote "However if you are shooting woodies which are sitting by each other, I think one falling off a branch with a .177 shaped whole in it is going to cause the others to leave, silencer or no silencer"

Thats a point !

However, others nearby in the field and hedgerow may not be so bothered.

What I really want to know is if silencers really reduce the 'crack' of a Gas Ram airgun ?

Cheers

Webley75

Not in my experience of a HW90 GR. Webley 75 i have both in .177 cal and .22 and one is fitted with a BSA volumetric Silencer.

I cant honestly say there isnt a lot of difference.

Save your money!!!

On the Tracker I think this is one of the Classic air guns of all times. I had one once which I also modified and customised and fitted a gas ram and it was a lovely gun..

ive got a webley xocet xs and even with the huge black hole silencer on the end the gun is still noisy its the recoil that makes the noise ive never shot a gas ram so i dont no how much recoil noise they give off the only way to have a quite gun is to get a pcp

hey juddy ive also got a webley xocet xs just painted it black after snapping the stock :P its fitted with a webley pro silencer and a cheap 4x20 scope

When i first fitted the silencer the shots sounded the same then a friend advised me to put a small strip of tape where the compression rings sit then tighten it as much as i can it reduced the sound considerably

Ps Strip yaw stock and paint it black it looks sooooooooooo sexy ..................or maybe its just me? :P