PLONK AND PLAY FPV magnetic thermal truck spotter/finder.

Dave-G

A magnetic thermal truck spotter, DIY built FPV drone transmitter with no trailing cables into a 7" receiver monitor inside the vehicle. Its basically 'PLONK AND PLAY' and much better than trying to spot through a windscreen or holding it out the window - and your buddies can watch the quarry - and see it drop - or miss too. :-)

This thermal spotter has a magnetic base that will attach to steel roofs or rails. Its a unique one off that will never be repeated. The bad bits: The menu is very basic - and its black or white hot only. No frills like PIP or colour palettes etc. In fact its best just left alone set at white hot because that shows more hot zones than black. It also has a small white spot near the lower left corner that would be viewing an area just in front the truck so is of no consequence.

The rest is all great- It's rechargeable with an approximate constant transmitting time of four to five hours: an external battery pack can be plugged into the 5.5/2.1 DC charge port if more time is needed. It will be supplied with a tripod threaded adaptor to fit to a T-bar remote handle - simply unscrew the magnet base as needed using pliers or 11mm spanner to release the locknut.

The video signal is transmitted by FPV (drone) radio signal with no lag and is superior to wifi. Did I point out there are NO trailing cables coming in or out the windows? 🙂 The 7" 800x480 res monitor also has a record function, its about two years old with a poor battery so is supplied with a cigar lighter plug to run indefinitely. If you want to buy a new FPV monitor with a guarantee deduct 100 squid then I can keep it for my IR roof spotter. I can supply a link to one if there is any interest.

Sensor/core spec is 17 micron 384x288, mono, shutterless, with a 35mm F1.2 lens that is quite focus tolerant so doesn't need constant adjustment at different viewing distances. The lid is currently flip out but would be better sealed with a smear of silicone round it. The only adjustment needed is pan/tilt for most trips. Its especially beneficial as a driving aid as there is no IR light source floating about above ground that often spooks quarry as you drive around with the IR on.

More about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVwsMnxpvMI... Photo's show the T-bar mounting options into the very solid anodised mounting block screwed through the box. Now 1200 squid posted RMSD to UK postcodes only. Demo can be available at East Leicester city boundary. If you use a desktop monitor to view the videos best minimise the window to about 7" to see nearly as good an image as I saw when recording. Any questions please ask.

The far hedgeline is 350 yards.

Can't load the image links so will post them below.

Edited by Dave-G

Photo's of the PLONK AND PLAY transmitter unit.

DSCF1339.JPG

DSCF1459.JPG

This shows the detected heat reflection of my head from the patio door window glass - who'd have thunk that! The image is obscured by daylight reflections off the anti glare filter over the screen - it would not be seen like that in darkness. Note the record button.

Heat reflection.JPG

The solid custom moulded box tripod thread mounting options to swap to a T-bar, handle, or tripod.

Thermal spotter stud adaptors (1).JPG

Thermal spotter stud adaptors (2).JPG

Thermal spotter stud adaptors (3).JPG

Edited by Dave-G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd removed the thermal core from the spotter to "shielding play" with it in this torch conversion for a HMR bunny bashing rig with dovetail scope mounts.

15163297_Torchthermalbunnybasher.JPG.21604cf255735dcfe4b7ef7aadce4200.JPG

I now fancy another covid shielding project: fitting a better more zoomed in thermal core module into this dovetail HMR range torch rig. The current 35mm lens is better suited for spotting and a higher base mag core would be better for rabbit size targets at 100 yards on a rifle. They cost significantly more...

So I've replaced a core into the roof spotter and its now back on sale to fund the other. The dead pixel issue in the lower left screen has been fixed.    :)

Edited by Dave-G

I'm quite surprised nobody pointed out I'd not stated a price. :yay:

Anyway its now reduced to £1000 with the receiver/monitor/DVR

Or £900 if buyer gets a new receiver/monitor/ DVR so I keep mine for the other spotter:

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-LCD5802D-5802-5_8G-40CH-7-Inch-FPV-Monitor-with-DVR-Build-in-Battery-for-RC-Drone-Airplane-Long-Range-p-1029504.html?cur_warehouse=USA&rmmds=search&DCC=GB&currency=GBP