Rossenarra

Thinking of purchasing a .223 rifle for fox shooting, from reading various threads the tikka t3 tactical appears to be the one that people are happy with..........is it possible to buy one of these straight without ever owning a .22 before....as in will they give one a licsnse (i have permissionand am in processes of joining club)

Thinking of purchasing a .223 rifle for fox shooting, from reading various threads the tikka t3 tactical appears to be the one that people are happy with..........

If your happy with it that's all that matters - but personally Tikka's wouldn't be on my list. I would advise doing a lot of homework before making your final desicion - don't just go off what others say on forums - it has to be right for you. :good:

..........is it possible to buy one of these straight without ever owning a .22 before....as in will they give one a licsnse (i have permissionand am in processes of joining club)

Yes it is possible, but you might have conditions - being mentored for a period etc (justified or not!). But joining a club is a good plan - plus, if your inexperienced, I would say spend some time down there first before a.) buying a gun, and b.) going out alone (get your practice in and your safety up to speed first). This might not be what you want to hear at present as you may well be excited and looking forward to getting into fox shooting with both feet....but it is worthwhile. :no:

Best of luck :no:

Thinking of purchasing a .223 rifle for fox shooting, from reading various threads the tikka t3 tactical appears to be the one that people are happy with..........

If your happy with it that's all that matters - but personally Tikka's wouldn't be on my list. I would advise doing a lot of homework before making your final desicion - don't just go off what others say on forums - it has to be right for you. :good:

..........is it possible to buy one of these straight without ever owning a .22 before....as in will they give one a licsnse (i have permissionand am in processes of joining club)

Yes it is possible, but you might have conditions - being mentored for a period etc (justified or not!). But joining a club is a good plan - plus, if your inexperienced, I would say spend some time down there first before a.) buying a gun, and b.) going out alone (get your practice in and your safety up to speed first). This might not be what you want to hear at present as you may well be excited and looking forward to getting into fox shooting with both feet....but it is worthwhile. :no:

Best of luck :no:

I would agree with you Oly...the funds are set a side to purchase but I'm not going to rush into any purchase till I'm

1/ Full aware of all the makes and models and know the best value gun that suites my needs

2/ Fully knowledgable on how to use it safely

It is very easy to start loking at websites and jump head first....

You might, and then again you might not...

I got as shotgun for a few months first. Have my own land and sheep so needed it for vermin, foxes etc. Local cop knows me for the last 15 years and I've plenty of permission around. That helped me a lot. I went for my first rifle, a .223 and got the cert in less than a month. I gave my reason for wanting it for foxing.

Have as much on your side as you can, if you or anyone in your family owns land or has stock be sure and mention that. Drop names of permission owners who would be known to the cops (in a good way now...). Joining a club will help too I'm sure, also buy a gunsafe if you don't already have one and mention that too as you're not actually required by law to have one over here.

Tikkamark and Terrier on here have Tacticals and both seem happy with them. If I were you I would also look at Remington model 700's in VSSF II, VL SS, and VLS. I've the VL SS and it's a great rifle, Conor has the VSSF II and again it doesn't put a foot wrong.

You might, and then again you might not...

I got as shotgun for a few months first. Have my own land and sheep so needed it for vermin, foxes etc. Local cop knows me for the last 15 years and I've plenty of permission around. That helped me a lot. I went for my first rifle, a .223 and got the cert in less than a month. I gave my reason for wanting it for foxing.

Have as much on your side as you can, if you or anyone in your family owns land or has stock be sure and mention that. Drop names of permission owners who would be known to the cops (in a good way now...). Joining a club will help too I'm sure, also buy a gunsafe if you don't already have one and mention that too as you're not actually required by law to have one over here.

Tikkamark and Terrier on here have Tacticals and both seem happy with them. If I were you I would also look at Remington model 700's in VSSF II, VL SS, and VLS. I've the VL SS and it's a great rifle, Conor has the VSSF II and again it doesn't put a foot wrong.

Cheers John,

I have the added bonus that I live next to my parents, they own 80 acres which they rent out and we are well known to the local Gardai as my father is an ex cop…..so it should be looking good………..just what to buy…………

I have bought the book foxing with lamp and rifle by Robert Bucknell…..will read that and read the threads, I’m sure a trend will emerge sooner or later

This being Ireland I don't think you'll have much of a problem getting your licence in that case lol. What to go for is personal choice really. I used to have a Tikka Varmint Stainless in .223 but got rid as it was ammo fussy. Can't fault the Remington VL SS I have now, any mistakes made are my own which is good to know as I don't need to worry about the rifle being dodgy. Whatever you do decide to buy, observe one golden rule, SHOP AROUND. There will be hundreds of euros difference in the price of a particular rifle in one shop compared to another. Don't forget to budget for a good scope too, it's at least as important if not more important than the rifle itself.