CASE STUCK

Guest raymond1

Guest raymond1

i have had the head seperate from a brass cartridge and left the brass sleeve in the chamber , i had reloaded after i had fired and was using black powder so the chamber is bound to be dirty and now the case has stuck ,i have tried boiling,WD40 ,locktite

the head back on ,but it wont budge ,any sujestions about releaseing agents ?

thanks ???

Guest raymond1
try diesel or if you no a local mechanic see if hes got a reamer which you could put down the sleeve and exspand it but be careful as these are sharp

i think thats what it will need is reaming ,trouble is it ia quite a large case and for whatever reason it is not comming out , tried boiling ,WD40, more boiling ,but it wont "have it",just wonderd if anyone knew of any sort of release agent

thanks

Guest raymond1
Would it be possible to glue a rod to the inside of the case and extract it that way? Just a thought.

just been having that very thought :lol: i will try it nothing to loose ,but i think i will have to machine it in the end because it is a rather large case ,thanks

It is not a particularly unusual occurrence - folk tend to use cases long after they should have been throw away.

Get a flame torch and a can of plumbers cold spray ( the sort you freeze pipe with to repair a joint without switching off the water).

I presume you are correct re soft soldered ribs - you are using an English Gun?

If so..

Using a small piece of Phosphor Bronze rod (or Brazing Rod) filed to a small chisel end find the point of the case wall where you could just tap it in and raise one edge enough to grip with a pair of snipe nosed pliers. The bronze wont damage the chamber and any marks will easily clean out later

Heat the breech end of the barrels to just above hand hot and get a mate to hold mid way with a pair of leather gloves with the breech end pointing towards you. Holding the case with the pliers spray the brass wall of the cartridge case with the cold spray and pull.

It should pop out easily.

Guest raymond1
It is not a particularly unusual occurrence - folk tend to use cases long after they should have been throw away.

Get a flame torch and a can of plumbers cold spray ( the sort you freeze pipe with to repair a joint without switching off the water).

I presume you are correct re soft soldered ribs - you are using an English Gun?

If so..

Using a small piece of Phosphor Bronze rod (or Brazing Rod) filed to a small chisel end find the point of the case wall where you could just tap it in and raise one edge enough to grip with a pair of snipe nosed pliers. The bronze wont damage the chamber and any marks will easily clean out later

Heat the breech end of the barrels to just above hand hot and get a mate to hold mid way with a pair of leather gloves with the breech end pointing towards you. Holding the case with the pliers spray the brass wall of the cartridge case with the cold spray and pull.

It should pop out easily.

:lol: i managed to deform the case with a screwdriver and then taken about 10thou off the head ,pushed the head through the muzzle end and shoved an 8foot bar through ,it taken several taps with a lump hammer and then it jumped out :P ,the case had all sorts of grit and filth on it ,(dont remember it being like that when i put it in) i have cleaned the chamber and i dontknow where all the muck came from , the cases are brand new it was a bad solder joint that gave way (trying to save money instead of them being made from solid) anyway no damage to the chamber but i noticed if you put a cartridge into the other chamber it is slightly tight so i wil hone it so they match perfectly ,.thanks for your help guys , i have never had this problem before :)