working ferrets,

Vermin Dropper

Hi all,

I have been keeping ferrets for years on and off, but I am now just getting into working them,

I took two out last week and had three bunnies, which I was pleased with as I was alone, working them for the first time and the two ferrets had not been out working before.

The problem came on Friday, I took two ferrets out and spent 5 hours working two warrens of about 30 nets each, and had nothing!

is it me or the ferrets who need more experience?

would they benefit from working with an experienced ferret to show them the ropes , so to speak?

being new to the game, do they play around on the surface? going in and just looking for the nearest exit?

And finally.... is there anyone within about an hour of Solihull, West Mids, with experienced ferrets, who would be willing to bring them out with me and my ferrets, to help show me and them the ropes?:yp:? please!!!!!!!

As always any info much appreciated, :)

Vermindropper

There is not enough space here to tell you all you need to know about ferreting. It takes years to learn the art. However what you describe could be a combination of inexperienced/disinterested ferrets and/or the plain fact that the burrows aren't being used. It would pay you to do some reconnaissance of the area you intend ferreting. Any half decent ferret will soon get to work if there are rabbits in the warren. They will soon disappear and start hunting and it then becomes obvious that the action wont be far behind(assuming of course you've picked a day when they want to bolt). Some ferrets never make good hunters all they do is skirt in and out of the holes and are a nuisance. I dont usually ferret this time of year i believe the best time to be between October and February, although i have enjoyed good days at other times . Another thing to consider and you dont state this in your post, is the sex of the ferret i.e. what combination are you using? If using Jills have they been taken out of season? I suggest you get a book. Probably the best overall is Val Porters 'Complete Guide to Ferrets' it being the most comprehensive. Purely on the hunting aspect I would choose FJ Taylors little book 'The shooting times guide to ferreting.'

Good luck

its the wrong time of the year because the rabbits have nests full of young and once the rabbits young are old enough the doe rabbit will cover up the nest and leave the young most of the day so what is happening is when you put your ferrets in the burrows there are no rabbits to bolt just young that cant ,and not all ferrets will kill the young so if the come out without any blood on them you would think the burrows are empty ,,,,,,,,,,,,,also i was told by the bloke that took me out when i started ferreting only to ferret when theres a R in the month

cheers

polecat :yp: