top tips??

blacta

Guest The Outlaw
helo all

i have allways been interested in taxidermy and have considered mounting the heads of a couple of pheasants

does anyone have tips/photos on the subject. i have read a bit of advice

manys thanks Toby

Get stuffed!

Sorry couldnt resist it.

Have you done any preserving yet Toby

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
helo all

i have allways been interested in taxidermy and have considered mounting the heads of a couple of pheasants

manys thanks Toby

Hi Toby, cut the bird around breast area all the way around then skin it all the way up to the head clean off all fat etc, do the same with the skull, use clay or modeling putty to build the head up to its natural shape. Use a strong piece of wire to form the breast and neck on. I clean off the wing bones of all flesh and the tail and add them to the head and breast and when its on the shield it looks like the whole bird. It is probably just as quick to mount the whole bird. dont forget to paint the wattles with cadmium red paint once dried because it fades very fast. Hope this all helps good luck. :good::yes:

helo all

manys thanks Toby

Hi Toby, cut the bird around breast area all the way around then skin it all the way up to the head clean off all fat etc, do the same with the skull, use clay or modeling putty to build the head up to its natural shape. Use a strong piece of wire to form the breast and neck on. I clean off the wing bones of all flesh and the tail and add them to the head and breast and when its on the shield it looks like the whole bird. It is probably just as quick to mount the whole bird. dont forget to paint the wattles with cadmium red paint once dried because it fades very fast. Hope this all helps good luck. :blush::good:

cheers! :blush:

• 2 months later...

If you are wiling to travel and make a weekend of it then a friend of mine runs courses in Yorkshire. Check out his website, i think its uktaxidermy. or something like that!! Anyway his name is Mike Gadd, hes a top bloke and works wonders with dead bodies!!

thanks chess,

I have had some contact with mike already,

i had hoped to go the course in a few weekends time , but somebody else got their deposit cheque to him before me.

hence now looking for someone nearer, mikes next mamals course isn`t till next year now.

thanks anyway,