Best Stock

Clark539

I will second Tuck’s recommendation of the River Cottage Meat book, I got it 18months ago and love it.

If I need a basic stock quickly I follow a simple route, far better than any cube.

I always have giblets in the freezer, duck, pheasant, chicken, turkey and left over carcases either raw or cooked.

So I take out a couple of sets and place them in a heavy based pan. Next goes in 5 or 6 pepper corns, couple of sliced carrots, no need to peel, a stick or two of celery if I have it, roughly sliced leek or onion, a couple of bay leaves, 3 or sprigs of thyme and parsley and just a small twist of salt.

Cover this lots with cold water and bring to a simmer. At this stage impurities/scum will form on the top and I skim this off with a spoon.

Then carry on simmering for a few hours so the volume is reduced by about half.

This can then be used straight away or frozen for when you need it, I freeze in pint portions for easy use.

I love the smell in the kitchen when I am making stock, always makes me hungry.

Jerry

PS if you have to use cubes or liquid have a look at the Kallo Just Bouillon cube, far better than Oxo or the like.