Wiltshire Woodies

JONO

The farmer whose land near Swindon I shoot hadn't seen any birds when I called him on Saturday but as we chatted he approached the main farm site and saw a load of woodies on a spring OSR field - young crop about 8-10 inches high.

It was due to be hot so I got there spotted a flightline running between a copse 1000m away further down the field and set the hide up in a hedgerow for a 7:30am start. The birds were flocking in groups of 6 to 12 and came in confidently to a horsehoe pattern of 20 decoys (no flappers, magnets - just sportsplast shells and flexicoys). I stopped shooting at 11am and had taken 40 pigeon, two rabbit (who came fatally close to the hide) and a couple of carrion. Ones and twos were still coming in once it had got a load hotter but I was limited in time so couldn't carry on.

I left 4 nice birds for the farmer and shall look to return asap. Tip: get there early whilst its cool and the birds are on their first feed.

Regards

Jon

Jono would disagree with you there! Better to let the pigeons get there 1st feed, then hit them hard in the afternoon from 15.00hrs onwards, as with hitting them in the morning just ****s the flight up for the rest of the day. :lol:

Shot 106 0n thursday over peas with a flapper and magnet and only started at 14.00hrs and shot threw to 19.30hrs :lol: