with just the basics decoying

bgrangeb

all i have are 12 decoy pigeon shells with sticks and 1 crow

do i put the crow at the back and as for horseshoe patterns.. how big?

10m from the hide and 30 metres from the hide with the back shells and how wide should it be...

also if a pigeon saw a decoy sitting on a stick so that it sticks up in tall rape wont it think holy **** thats a huge pigeon with its back so far from the ground...?

The size and distance from the hide of your decoy layout depend on a number of factors.

The layout should create an area where you want the birds to come to, this area should obviously be in range of the hide.

Horseshoe shaped layouts are popular, because the shooting area is the clear space at the back of and between the "arms".

So, the furthest arm should be about 35 yards from the hide, the closest arm can be whatever you like, but no closer to the hide than 20 yards.

As you only have a few decoys, I would suggest you make it a ")" shape.

Place the furthest decoy at 35 yards and then approx 1 yard apart, make sure there is a definite (but shallow) curve.

Face the decoys into the wind and the birds should come in to the curve.

Pigeons prefer to land into the wind and behind any feeding birds (decoys), so if the wind is right to left across the front of the hide, place the layout slightly to the right of your hide, the pigeons will then have to pass in front of you to get to the layout.

Obviously vary the positioning taking into account any other wind directions, using the same principle.

When you have decoys on longer sticks over high crops, the pigeons should come to have a look, but they will soon realise they can't land, you should plan to shoot as soon as they are in range.

Personally, I would leave the crow at home, but those that believe in them usually place them well to one side of the layout, or well in front, never behind.