Jack of all trades rifle .

Harnser

I have been reading lots of posts on what calibre rifle for different species .It does seem a bit of a minefield as to choice of calibre .I was in the same postion many years ago when i first started stalking .I made the same mistake buying different calibre rifles for different species .At one time i had three different calibres for uk stalking . My favourite and the most potent being the wonderful .270 . The .270 is more than enough gun for uk and european game ,but i used to go to north America regulary to hunt elk and moose with my cousins ,so the extra power of the .270 was necessary ,yes i used to take my rifle with me ,was never a problem in those days .

Over the last few years i have only used one rifle for stalking and that is the venerable .308 .A wonderful ,wonderful round for uk and european stalking .The .308 is a wonderful versatile round because of the different bullit weights avaiable for it .You can load from 100grn for small light skinned game up to 200grn for the the big pigs ,and any thing inbetween .

So take my advice (for what its worth ) if you are starting to stalk and need a rifle ,go for the .308 you will not be dissapointed . The .308 has got to be the true Jack of all trades rifle . Harnser .