field target shooting

hixy

hello everybody first post,i would like to do some field target shooting and i had my heart set on a daystate m3, but been to my local field target club today and all the shooters there have slagged off the daystate saying that its un reliable and overpriced.they have all told me to start with an air arms s400 and a good scope.

the majority of shooters at the club use air arms rifles.

what do you think are daystate rifles not very good

thanks alot hixy :lol:

Hi Hixy,

Welcome to the Forum mate. I am suprised the club members dont rate the Daystate rifles I have had a couple and found them very good. I did have regulator trouble on one but that was put right by Daystate foc.

That said the AA range is very good indeed. The new mark 3 is going to set you back a few quid more than the 400 and for the same cost you could consider the 410 or even the Logun Axor.

If its your first venture into FT shooting and you dont want to spend too much have a look out in the second hand market or even consider the BSA Firebird a fine Pre charged for the money and as accurate and consistant as most costing 3 times as much. A good friend of mine shoots one regularly in FT competitions and although slightly modified shoots as well as others with £3000 combos. You coud use it for the occassional hunting sortie too if you wanted to.

FM.

The Mk3 has a problem with rain - it stops working in the wet. It is otherwise a fine rifle with an exceptionally fast lock time. The S400 will be perfectly ok for FT and will allow you to spend more on a decent scope. You could then custom stock the S400 at a later date to fit you better. Also consider the rifle length Hornet. Great accuracy and a regulator too for £cheap

Hi,

My advice to you is to try both brands of airguns and maybe other brands too, to see what gun fits you best. Actually, this is very important because if you don´t get the gun that fits you best you won´t be able to get the maximum accuracy out of the gun and in the end you are going to be disapointed with the gun.

Don´t take notice off that everyone recommend different brands - most airguns on the market are really good regarding accuracy and reliability. Just you pick the right gun you feel comfortable with then you should be on safe ground.

Cheers - Bolta

hello 1 of 5 i did mean ft and now i realise the scope is really not good enough for ft.it will have to do for a while as im am now skint. i would like to compete at club level and also use the combo for hunting. cant praise the mfr enough its really acurate and very quiet. would the scope be ok for hft

thanks hixy :D

Almost any scope will do for HFT but it's a big advantage to have multi-aimpoints such as mil-dots to enable you to bracket the distance to the target. Without the multi-aimpoints you'll be limited to the MK1 eyeball - not impossible to do just harder. I know folk who can put in a 57/60 on a HFT course with just a duplex. If you're wanting a scope that'll do everything then you're going to have to compromise slightly. The best scope I've ever found that'll do FT / HFT and go hunting is the 6-24x40 Bushnell Elite 4200 with mil-dot reticle. These can be imported from the USA for about £300 new (£550 over here). I honestly doubt there is a better "do everything" scope about.

http://www.dnrsports.net/miva/merchant.mv?..._Code=scopesbsp

are one of the few US companies still shipping to the UK.

I seriously doubt it. These scopes are well built and have decent optics but with only 16x it isn't going to rangefind very well over 45 yds. Usually you'll need at least 24x mag to achieve this and often more depending on the quality of the optics and size of the objective bell. Sorry to say but decent FT scopes cost lots of money. Something such as a 6-24 Varmint 2 will get you going at club level but will struggle above 50 yds. Don't confuse the Varmint 2 with the Varmint 1. The no. 2 has far better glass than the awful no.1. If you can find an older Tasco 6-24 Target then these are decent starter FT scopes and are often found for £80-£100 secondhand and would be a great choice on a budget. Have you joined a club? If so you should be getting advice that would steer you away from such purchases as your AGS for FT use.