Trouble with dog retrieving pigeons - NTTF

Bryn

Hi all

Went out decoying on Tuesday, thought i would use the time to see how my young springer would be in the hide and give him an opportunity to retrieve.

Firstly my dog will retrieve dummies with fur or wings secured to them, he has retrieved a partridge when beating last season and i have tried him on cold teal. All okay.

He is 19 months so is still young.

Well the fist pigeon came in and was killed, i left it five minutes and sent the dog, he went straight to the bird sniffed, picked by the wing but would not retrieve. I walked towards him with encouragement and he backed away pulling the bird with his face covered in feathers.

I blew the stop whistle and he sat, i then approached and picked the bird.I gave him encouragement and we went back to the hide.

When the second bird dropped i sent him again and had the same response, needless to say i was feeling dissappointed.

The next couple of birds i walked wih him and picked myself, he was excited but i did not let him touch the birds.

I was wondering if i should freeze some birds and when thawed cover in a stocking and see if he will pick these?

Has anybody else had this problem and what is the best way to cure?

Thanks all :good:

Bryn,

I would deffinately give the stocking a go. Pigeons are a bit of a pain when it comes to feathers pulling out in a dogs mouth and can give them a bit of a set back. The stocking will help get him past this.

Once he is comfortable with a stocking bird use another bird with just an elastic around it to hold the wings in tight to the body. this will also help to control the feathers from pulling but gives the dog the taste and feel of the feathers in his mouth.

Once he is comfortable with the elastic bird go to just a loose bird and see how he does. He should at this point just pick it up and bring it back. One of the biggest things with this is to remember to keep him excited and to make it fun for him.

If this does not solve the problem let me know and i will come up with something more for you.

NTTF

Bryn,

I would deffinately give the stocking a go. Pigeons are a bit of a pain when it comes to feathers pulling out in a dogs mouth and can give them a bit of a set back. The stocking will help get him past this.

Once he is comfortable with a stocking bird use another bird with just an elastic around it to hold the wings in tight to the body. this will also help to control the feathers from pulling but gives the dog the taste and feel of the feathers in his mouth.

Once he is comfortable with the elastic bird go to just a loose bird and see how he does. He should at this point just pick it up and bring it back. One of the biggest things with this is to remember to keep him excited and to make it fun for him.

If this does not solve the problem let me know and i will come up with something more for you.

NTTF

Cheers NTTF :good: Will try