Best Crow decoy ever !

Browning

Walking the dogs yesterday and I was watching a local farmer that was spreading

pig slurry on a recently harvested field.

Not so much watching him as watching the rooks, crows and gulls that were descending on the field, hundreds of the bu**ers.

As he drove past he stopped and we got chatting about my dogs, after a while I turned the conversation round to the corvids and found out

his usual pest controller had moved away from the area, so he was in need of some help....RESULT !!!

I went back this morning, buried myself into a hedge, and waited for the birds to appear as he started spreading again.........54 shots fired, 33 birds in the bag.....one happy farmer.....one happy shooter,

700 more acres to come and go as I please, and an invitation to go beating with him this winter.

Who needs decoys !

I know what you mean Browning, one of the best days I ever had shooting corvids was under similar circumstances about 7 years ago.. A farmer near Cirencester had spread two fields with manure and the rooks crows & jackdaws were so numerous you couldnt count them.

On examination they were eating the small red worms, ( Brandlings, much favoured by us anglers), amongst other crawling nasties.

In 6 hours I shot over 100 birds and when I drove by the day after the field was still alive with them.

Two weeks later he ploughed it in and seeded it with rape and i shot over it again and had a good mixed bag of blck and grey birds and one stoat after the poults in the adjacent wood.