need help, advice, comments anything on .22 n .17 rifles

LEE D

i am going for my rifle liceince and on the farm i shoot the firearms officer has come out to inspect the land and he says he would only issue a .17 not a .22 :hmm: i dont know much about rifles :lol: but could someone explain the difference between them and the max killing range and anything that could help me out thanks alot :yes:

Hello Lee, what do you require the rifle for? vermin like rabbits, rats, and such or larger animals like fox, hare and muntjac?

Both the .22 and .17 depending on zero range, and the man behind the gun, basically it comes down to how well the user can be sure of a clean kill, the actual bullet is capable of killing at a much greater range, but accuracy is the key.

a .22 rimfire would have an effective range of about 80 to 90 yards

the .17 is very accurate out to 125 may be 150 yards, and therefore will dispatch small vermin at that range no probs

i am going for my rifle liceince and on the farm i shoot the firearms officer has come out to inspect the land and he says he would only issue a .17 not a .22 :hmm: i dont know much about rifles :lol: but could someone explain the difference between them and the max killing range and anything that could help me out thanks alot :yes:

do you mean rimfires or centerfires

well the thing is i didnt speak to him the farmer spoke 2 him because he came to inspect for a different person but the farmer explained about me going for my licience and all he said was that he would only issue a .17 because a .22 has too much richochet .... but didnt say rimmy or centerfire ..... but doesnt the richochet depend on the type of ammo i dont know if im right but could someone tell me

maximum ranges between 90 an 150 yards and the main vantige point is on top of a bund wall (made up ground from top soil)....which stands a about 70 to 80 yards high and there are ditches around the outisde all feilds with high banks but shooting from that high up, would it be a good safe shot shooting down to the ground ? considering if there were any peices of brick or stone which could cause a richochet if missed the target ( which i hope not lol :lol: )