Leaking S410..or is it?

wrs_fat_sober

Hi Guys

Returning to sport after a long break and have just bought a new AA 410 (.177). However when filled to 200bar the bottle leaks.. But I'm not sure if I actualy have a problem...Although the bottle I'm filling from reads 200bar there are no numbers on the new AA gague -it is divided up into 5 coloured sections and the leak stops at the green..so is the red section on the gague a warning of overfill and therefore the bottle is wrong or do I have a leak? Quite confused as have heard of aa gagues not being that accurate? :yp:

Thanks guys

the gauge on the divers bottle is the one to go by, gauges on guns are known for sometimes not being to accurate. Dont overfill whatever you do or you could have an explosion on your hands :yp: what is the fill pressure ment to be on the gun? most are around 180 bar with 200 being max working pressure. Having never owned an air arms pre charged i'm not sure of its fill pressure.

there is no safety valve on the 400 range, they are designed to expand the tube when overfilled (at i believe just over 200bar) rendering the gun useless. 190 is the recomended max and i never fill mine past 180bar as this is when the power curve starts getting flatter.

you need to be very carefull mate.

as for the leak, spit on your finger and hold it over the quick fill valve end. see any bubbles? bet if you fill to 180bar you dont get any more leaks :yp:

Hi guys thanks for your advice

Have sent the gun back to aa. Apparently (now i'm not 100% as it was all quite confusing) there is a valve that completly empties the chamber if the pressure falls below 50bar and this was faulty letting the air excape down to 50. Anyhoo aa are fitting all new valves, seals etc and fair play to york guns who have given me a Daystate to tide me over until mine comes back. Seems odd that it has a low pressure release valve but no high pressure release...I guess the answer is dont overfill! :)

Thanks guys

Geoff

Hi guys thanks for your advice

Have sent the gun back to aa. Apparently (now i'm not 100% as it was all quite confusing) there is a valve that completly empties the chamber if the pressure falls below 50bar and this was faulty letting the air excape down to 50. Anyhoo aa are fitting all new valves, seals etc and fair play to york guns who have given me a Daystate to tide me over until mine comes back. Seems odd that it has a low pressure release valve but no high pressure release...I guess the answer is dont overfill! :)

Thanks guys

Geoff

This "low pressure release valve" is actually the firing valve. The weight of the hammer on the firing valve is sufficient to overcome the internal pressure and let air out down the barrel. This happens around 50 bar but you ought to be refilling the gun around 100 bar anyway. If you are not then you'll be hitting sod all with it.

Occasionally the firing valve gets a bit of **** on it or otherwise fails and won't seal. In such a case it'll empty the gun completely and won't stop at 50 bar. Overfilling will not damage the valve but at 230 bar the threads on the cylinder are designed to rupture on a AA. This is a controlled failure to prevent a much more serious uncontrolled failure at higher pressure.

AA are very quick on turnaround times on repairs. I posted mine on a Monday and got it back on the Wednesday with AA fitting a new firing valve under warranty.