Newbie Wanting to Learn Clayshooting

Rob7865

Hello everyone.

I would like to learn and get into Clay shooting - I did a couple of clay shoots as a child (14 / 15) and loved it but never really got into taking it up as a hobby.

Now I am a bit older :( I would like to take it up and start a new hobby.

I live in Bristol, can anyone recommend a good clay shooting club that offers instruction / introduction lessons?

Would this be the best way to go, or can I just rock up at a site, hire a gun and blast 50 clays straight of?!? ???

What would be the best way to get into this sport for a new starter? Unfortunately I do not know anyone that I could ask for recommendations or if I could tag along with.

Many Thanks for your help.

Rob

Rob,

There are a few good grounds around Bristol. If you have your own gun you can normally just turn up and shoot but as a beginner you will need a ground with a Section 11 exemption which basically allows people without a shotgun certificate to shoot under supervision/tuition which obviously means you'll usually have to book something in advance so they can make sure guns/instructors are available.

Here are a few off the top of my head that do tuition:

http://www.westonlodgeshootingground.co.uk/clay-pigeon.htm

http://www.mendipclays.co.uk

http://www.brookbankshooting.co.uk/index.php

The best thing would be to have a few lessons, decide whether you want to proceed with the sport then maybe join a club (helps with certificate applications but not essential) and apply for your own shotgun certificate.

Alex

Hello everyone.

I would like to learn and get into Clay shooting - I did a couple of clay shoots as a child (14 / 15) and loved it but never really got into taking it up as a hobby.

Now I am a bit older :( I would like to take it up and start a new hobby.

I live in Bristol, can anyone recommend a good clay shooting club that offers instruction / introduction lessons?

Would this be the best way to go, or can I just rock up at a site, hire a gun and blast 50 clays straight of?!? :o

What would be the best way to get into this sport for a new starter? Unfortunately I do not know anyone that I could ask for recommendations or if I could tag along with.

Many Thanks for your help.

Rob

Rob I would highly recommend clay shooting was introduced to the sport 15 months ago. i was very lucky as the the guy who introduced me to sport was a avid shooting man took me under his wing and i have never looked back, my wife brought my first 2 shottys of him for a xmas present for myself.

Now I have got my own land to shoot and i am giving the old boys a good run for there money at my gun club. ???:stupid::yes::lol::lol:

Best way to get started is to get a lesson in as (as you stated), go out with mates or anyone on here and just start getting some time in at the clay grounds. Get a few clay books, they help reinforce stuff you might have forgotten from you previous lesson.

Great sport, best idea i ever had to get into this. Important thing is to enjoy the learning process, it can be frustrating if you let it but that never helps!

Get hold of a Copy of the Clay Target Shooters Hand Book published by the CPSA.

You can get it in their site or from EBay.

A lot of good info for novices and better shooters compacted into one in-expensive book.

If you get some lessons they will make a lot more sense if you have read the book.

Get hold of a Copy of the Clay Target Shooters Hand Book published by the CPSA.

You can get it in their site or from EBay.

A lot of good info for novices and better shooters compacted into one in-expensive book.

If you get some lessons they will make a lot more sense if you have read the book.

You've got to admit though Clayman, having a lesson first might help with some of the lingo. Bit of a chicken and egg situation really. A really good DVD to watch is John Bidwell's Move, Mount, Shoot.

Put a post in the meet-up section on here asking to meet up with people in your area. I'm sure someone will be only too happy to let you tag along and learn the ropes.

You won't regret taking up the hobby of shooting, not just clays, but game, vermin, wildfowl, pigeon, rabbit, the list is endless. EXPENSIVE, ADDICTIVE, but endless none the less.

As for asking questions. Ask away thats what this forum is here for, there are more ways to skin a cat than even a cat skinner knows, but 9 times out of 10 you'll get good advice.

SS

Or you could do a "ME" and just turn up knowing nothing having never fired a shotgun, aye ya feel a bit of a **** but nobody seems to care, everybody seems more than willing to put down their own gun to come and help you.

Probably the most friendly sport i have ever been into, i have been offered by loads of the guys who shoot there to go with them game shooting when the season starts again.

Just go for it with your head held high

• 3 weeks later...

**UPDATE!!**

Me and the SWMABO went for our first lesson this weekend to BrookBank on recommendation - have to say never had so much fun in a long time!!

If anyone is thinking about taking this up and are in the Bristol / Somerset area deff give Brookbank a try - very friendly bunch and our instructor for the day (Barry) was top notch <_< ... Will be returning for lesson 2 very soon!! :lol:

If anyone is interested - I scored 27/50 and SWMABO got scored a 22/50 :lol:

Thanks all

Rob :lol: