sorry to sound thick

ferretman

Dont worry about it mate, it's not a daft question. And if you dont ask, you dont know :yes:

Basically, a regulated air rifle has a regulator on it that 'measures' the amount of air that is released when you pull the trigger.

Whereas, unregulated rifles just have a valve that opens for a fraction of a second when the trigger is pulled.

Regulated rifles are therefore more consistant and you get more shots per charge because the regulator will make each discharge of air almost identical.

The discharge of air in unregulated air rifles varies with the amount of air and therefore pressure in the cylinder, have you heard of airgunners talking about the 'sweet spot'? that refers to the peak pressure that their particular unregulated air rifle runs at and produces the best shot consistancy.

I used to have a Air Arms S200 (unregulated) and the I found that it's 'sweet spot' was to fill it to 180 bar, dry fire the first 10 shots then i'd have around 45-50 perfectly consistant shots before the pressure started to drop a little and therefore, there wasnt as much air forcing its way out of the valve when it opened as I pulled the trigger.

My Daystate on the other hand, is regulated, and as such every time i pull the trigger - the amount of air that is dispensed is the same.

Hope this makes sense and helps mate :rolleyes: