smk xs20

its_me_everyone

Picked one up the other day (brand new), twangy as **** ;) .

so quick strip down, it has no grease in it only light oil, so with a grease and reassemble, we try again.

very smooth now, easy to manage recoil, nicely balanced.

the cocking motion is smooth and the trigger pull satisfactory.

zero'd in, now for the real test

my brother took it out, 5 minutes later!!, two clean headshots at 20yds :wub: .

xs20mx6.th.jpg

conclusion

ths smk xs20 is well made (good finish inside and out), but i would hessitate to recommend it to a beginner (unless they got a gun shop to check/grease it first)

after this initial let down, this gun is accurate and nice to use with plenty of power. hopefully it will last well, it looks like it should.

The smk xs 20 can make a good, cheap sporting combo. just make sure its greased.

Edited by Axe
Swearing

It's a Chinese copy of the Weihrauch HW95K right down to the Rekord trigger.

The original mainspring is the part that lets it down & is poorly finished, but put a Titan XS spring in it, hone a few parts & with a lube job & an hour or 2 of your time spent on it, you've got something that shoots pretty darn well.

I picked one up, brand new, for the bargain price of £80 quid just before the VCR act came in when an online retailer was unloading stock. Bought it as a project gun, but truth be told it didn't take a lot to put it in fine fettle, though you sure need a spring compresser to get that Titan in there.

The stock is made from a rare hardwood called Qui (spelling?) found only in the Mountains of China.

A much better gun than it gets credit for, with mine being responsible for a local squirrel shortage.

It's made by BAM rather than Industry Brand both being Chinese airgun manufacturers which SMK import & rebrand under their own label.The BAM guns are the better quality of the two

Yup

For that it was just a bare gun, but leaves a few quid spare (say an extra £20 quid) to put a good spring in it. Can't beat a good bit of swedish vanadium chrome steel with a bonded PTFE coating from those chaps at John Knibbs.

Just happened to be in the right place when an online seller decided he couldnt get or didn't want to be a RFD & had to unload some stock at cost before the VCR act came in.

Some will rubbish it just for being Chinese, but for the cost of a good spring & a bit of extra TLC you get a solid shooter at a bargain price.

Sold in America as the B26 where there's a bit more of a cult following for tuning bargain basement Chinese springers & considered to be good bang for your buck

I had one of these in .22 ages ago.

I bought it brand new with a very simple scope and gun bag for £120.

It wasnt completely horrible and was capable of killing rabbits out to 30 yards humanely.

It was however very noisy, kicked like a mule and after almost 3 months of use a bolt worked its way loose from the action :blink: I did manage to find it however and ended up swapping the rifle for some camo netting and other bits.

• 3 weeks later...

Good choice for a budget gun. I've got the same model. The first one i bought had a crack int he stick, probably from shipping so they replaced it and its been excellent. 1 inch groupings at 30 yards with crosman accupell's + Milbro TR's. I've had rabbits at 35 yards with one shot headshots along with pigeon and controversially (spelling?) pheasant. (of which i had permission to shoot). i've had this rifle since around Xmas now and i very rarely hunt but its still got me over 20 rabbits. Stick it in a superb shooters hands and who knows...?

Anyone who says this rifle is rubbish because its sold by SMK is an idiot. Its well capable of any average hunters needs.

Just upgraded the scope on mine a bit, to a brand new Walther 3x9x40 AO/IR coutessy of a Fleabay auction.

Didn't think £35 was too much to spend.LOL

OOOOH Nelly! them squirrels got it coming to 'em now. he he

As per earlier post, decent spring & a lube job is all it needs to make a reasonable quality, bargain shooter.

Nothing "twangy" about mine & like our American cousins, who go a bundle on this model, I'm always much happier when I've seen & fettled the internals for myself

At the end of the day, the sport can be pursued on many levels & budgets, but I think you get a bit more for your money than you might expect with this one.

• 3 weeks later...

now the guns ran in, some groupings at 25yrds

first up is using air arms diablo hunter

smkxs2025yrdairarmsdiabnk3.th.jpg

second is with bsa interceptor's this gun doesn't seem to like these pellets

smkxs2025yrdbsainterceptt7.th.jpg

both groupings where by my brother and he's a leftie :lol:

edit to say they are 7 shot groups near the 2 pence pieces not the other random ones :good:

Edited by its_me_everyone

Well i've got two on order, and the best thing is they will be fully VMach tuned with a bull barrell shroud. As soon as i get them i'll post my reports and get some pics up.

I have tried one out that has been tuned and for the money i'm impressed, that's why i orered two :good:

If you want to know more about getting them tuned pm me :lol: