Zero problem.

vole

I am fairly new to using scopes.Before a bunny shooting session I set about zero ing at the distance I expected the target but ended up getting groups both on bullseye and also 3in off target.Tight groups too.I found the eye piece was slightly loose but by then the rabbits were about but I had lost the confidence in my scope. Took it to the rfd and he did zero it but said the elevation was such that it could only just be on target. He is putting better mounts on as these single screw ones loosen.Anything I should do? New scope ? Thanks for any info :no:

Its the base model Lightning in .22. Just got it new. Using Accupels. I have noticed the screws will take a few more turns of an Allen key after a few shots so getting better mounts. I rested it on a tree stump to zero and the groups were tight at 20 yards but in two places.On and off target. Maybe the eye piece not tight enough?

Edited by vole21

Hi sorry to here your problems.

Firstly you should not use a rest such as a tree stump to shoot with a spring powered rifle. The recoil of the rifle will cause the rifle to jump.

Secondly I had a lightning xl which had to be sent back to BSA because the barrel had become loose, where the under lever joins the barrel to the action.

This has happened to a few people with lightnings.

If you hold the stock between your legs try and move the barrel from side to side, if the movemet is excessive this could be your problem.

Mine would shoot great groups but then the point of impact would suddenly change! Obviously caused by the barrel moving slightly every now and then.

Hope this helps

Billsy

Cheers Billsy. I thought springers should be able to recoil without you trying to stop them? I had it on my rolled up scarf on the stump just holding the pistol grip not the fore end.

untitled.jpg

The groups were kind of like this. Its in the rfd now for new mounts. Will get him to check it thanks.

• 2 weeks later...