headspace

hi all have seen variouse snipits simular to mine,and have had the term headspace used several times it is something i am aware of,however i just wounderd if anyone else has had the following prob and what was the soultion,i have the lee anniversery kit and rcbs dies in .223 and .243 if i try to reload brass fired from my gun the bolt at best as been a little snug at worst will not close at all . however new brass trimed and loaded fits fine. i have followed the instructions to the letter and sizes to the thou.the 243 die dose not feel right though on raiseing the piston into die it notches sometimes even though lubed as they are steel dies not carbide and is very stiff on extraction even with inside neck lubed.please any advice would be welcome as i am ready to put the lot in the bin. <_<

hi all have seen variouse snipits simular to mine,and have had the term headspace used several times it is something i am aware of,however i just wounderd if anyone else has had the following prob and what was the soultion,i have the lee anniversery kit and rcbs dies in .223 and .243 if i try to reload brass fired from my gun the bolt at best as been a little snug at worst will not close at all . however new brass trimed and loaded fits fine. i have followed the instructions to the letter and sizes to the thou.the 243 die dose not feel right though on raiseing the piston into die it notches sometimes even though lubed as they are steel dies not carbide and is very stiff on extraction even with inside neck lubed.please any advice would be welcome as i am ready to put the lot in the bin. <_<

Are your dies neck or full-length dies?

What happens if you put a fired case into your gun, one that has had nothing done to it at all, is the bolt tight then?

Do you cut your cases back to 2.045" maximum length after sizing?

Are you having the same problem with 223 cases?

What is stiff on extraction, can you be more specific?

hi all have seen variouse snipits simular to mine,and have had the term headspace used several times it is something i am aware of,however i just wounderd if anyone else has had the following prob and what was the soultion,i have the lee anniversery kit and rcbs dies in .223 and .243 if i try to reload brass fired from my gun the bolt at best as been a little snug at worst will not close at all . however new brass trimed and loaded fits fine. i have followed the instructions to the letter and sizes to the thou.the 243 die dose not feel right though on raiseing the piston into die it notches sometimes even though lubed as they are steel dies not carbide and is very stiff on extraction even with inside neck lubed.please any advice would be welcome as i am ready to put the lot in the bin. :good:

What happens if you put a fired case into your gun, one that has had nothing done to it at all, is the bolt tight then?

they are fl die sets

if its a factory loaded one i have fired the case is fine it is only after going through die a prob arises.

if case exeeds 2.045 yes i trim back to size

yes the .223 useing the sako brass i have fired are a little snug

the resized case seems to get very difficult/stiff to extract from prees when it is at /shoulder/neck point in the press

hope this helps you to help me

thank you. <_<

hi all have seen variouse snipits simular to mine,and have had the term headspace used several times it is something i am aware of,however i just wounderd if anyone else has had the following prob and what was the soultion,i have the lee anniversery kit and rcbs dies in .223 and .243 if i try to reload brass fired from my gun the bolt at best as been a little snug at worst will not close at all . however new brass trimed and loaded fits fine. i have followed the instructions to the letter and sizes to the thou.the 243 die dose not feel right though on raiseing the piston into die it notches sometimes even though lubed as they are steel dies not carbide and is very stiff on extraction even with inside neck lubed.please any advice would be welcome as i am ready to put the lot in the bin. :good:

they are fl die sets

if its a factory loaded one i have fired the case is fine it is only after going through die a prob arises.

if case exeeds 2.045 yes i trim back to size

yes the .223 useing the sako brass i have fired are a little snug

the resized case seems to get very difficult/stiff to extract from prees when it is at /shoulder/neck point in the press

hope this helps you to help me

thank you. <_<

OK, try a few fired cases that have been resized, but with no bullet, into the gun, we have to determine which operation is causing the problem, if they are not tight, this will remove the sizing die from the equation.

It sounds like the neck expander is pulling the brass out so far on the extraction that it is making the dimensions of the case just a little too big. As an experiment, take out the decapping pin and expander ball. Resize a fired case and see if that recycles in the rifle. If it does I would suggest reducing the size of the neck expander. I know you are using RCBS dies, but this is a common feature with Lee dies.

Hope this helps