Old Dog New Tricks...

Hi,

I took over my dad's 4 year old ESS getting on for a year ago, he had been worked but caused no end of drama's and as such has been sent to live with me and my family as a pet. Only problem is he's great, he's a fantastic dog and I can't help but think I may be able to get him right. I beat on my local shoot and have recently exteneded my permission which would enable a nice bit of rough shooting, the thought of getting him out working is really appealing. I understand whatever techniques I employ won't be overnight fixes and need months of training and repetition, however before I even consider working him is it too late? He walks to heel, sit/stay/down isn't a problem, got a fantastic nose, retrieves game, HOWEVER only in an enclosed environment typically anywhere he knows he can't get away... Out and about is a different story, first scent of a fox/deer/rabbit/pheasant and he's off into the next parish. Always comes back but in about 10 to 15 minutes barely able to walk without falling over his tongue :crazy: . Tried high value treats, nothing compares to just doing one.

John.

First off yes this dog could be worked.

I am suspecting that he is doing the runner as he has learned that if he gets out of reach then you/your dad is not going to be able to interupt his fun.

With his age and his history he is an ideal canidate for a PROPER e-collar program.

If you are interested let me know and I can help take you through getting him ready.

NTTF