gas ram?

GeorgeA

A gas ram airgun is a spring gun...without a spring!

A gas ram airgun is a spring-piston gun in which the coiled steel mainspring is replaced with a sealed "gas spring" unit. Instead of the coiled spring pushing the piston in an airgun, compressed gas does the job. "Gas ram" is just one name for it, it's also called a gas strut and a gas spring.

StevieP is not taking the P, it operates the same way.

I have a BSA lightening XL. When I first bought it, the original spring had quite a bit of recoil and noise. I had it changed for a theoben gas ram and it dramatically improved the rifle. Smoother cocking, much more accurate and a thud rather than a twang noise. The lock time is also shorter (the time it takes from pulling the trigger to the pellet exiting the barrel) which makes it easier to shoot as there is less risk of movement.

The gas rams which you can retro-fit are not adjustable. They are normally adjusted to between 11 and 12 ft/lb.

The gas rams which are fitted to Theoben rifles like the evolution are adjustable if you buy the pump kit. Although if you adjust a 12 ft/lb rifle to a higher power you risk damaging it.