can you help with my pigeon shoot

X LeErOy X

hi i have just started pigeon shooting with a shotgun i have brought a rotary machine with air pro pigeons. about 20 decoys full body and shell. can anyone give me some help what is the best way to put my decoys and rotary out in the feild? how far out ? what shape horse shoe?

Do i aim straight at the pigeon?

hi leroy and welcome to pw i dont know what experience you have of shooting live stuff but to help you get a bit more experience on range,giving lead etc maybe you might get alittle bit of practise in on clays first (if you havent already) please dont think i am being critical just trying to help.if you havent got much shooting land you could always come with me on 1 of my permisions providing you have experience of a shotgun and insurance it would most likely be the middle of next week when i will have time to take another newbie out as i am taking 2 lads for a look tommorow afternoon just pm me if i can help you out paul

The phrase ''All the gear and know idea'' springs to mind!

Im only jokin, it took me a while to get into hitting the birds in flight. There's alot of advice on here but really, you've gotta go out and PRACTICE. I agree with p-a-s, get to the clay grounds - although its different to shooting pigeons (dont know where the ******* are gonna come from) it'll give you an idea of lead etc and it'll be a real help.

Also, try hitting the pigeons just as they land in the deeks when there wings go up and aim bang on them. Get a few kills and hopefully this will increase your confidence when it comes to hitting the birds.

Also with your deeks, you can vary it and see what works best on the day. Id go with a V or horseshoe, or make a sort of L shape, face um into the wind and put the magnet at the back of the V towards the left or right (but again, just see what works). Dont have the rotary on too fast or they'll spook! Make sure your hide keeps you unseen and allow yourself plenty of room, again this is another thing i struggled with at first, i had very little room to move and ended up rushing and fluffing all my shots.

Stick with it kid you'll soon get the hang of it, and fair play to p-a-s for offering :) id snap up that offer right away if i were you!

The phrase ''All the gear and know idea'' springs to mind!

Im only jokin, it took me a while to get into hitting the birds in flight. There's alot of advice on here but really, you've gotta go out and PRACTICE. I agree with p-a-s, get to the clay grounds - although its different to shooting pigeons (dont know where the ******* are gonna come from) it'll give you an idea of lead etc and it'll be a real help.

Also, try hitting the pigeons just as they land in the deeks when there wings go up and aim bang on them. Get a few kills and hopefully this will increase your confidence when it comes to hitting the birds.

Also with your deeks, you can vary it and see what works best on the day. Id go with a V or horseshoe, or make a sort of L shape, face um into the wind and put the magnet at the back of the V towards the left or right (but again, just see what works). Dont have the rotary on too fast or they'll spook! Make sure your hide keeps you unseen and allow yourself plenty of room, again this is another thing i struggled with at first, i had very little room to move and ended up rushing and fluffing all my shots.

Stick with it kid you'll soon get the hang of it, and fair play to p-a-s for offering :thanks: id snap up that offer right away if i were you!

its about right though all the gear and no idea. i have been shooting on three farms for about 3 years with a f.a.c air rifle and the farmer has problems with pigeons now and again you carnt do much with a air rifle. so the farmer pays for a shootgun crew to come in. so i thought why pay for someone else come in and have all the fun when i could do it free of charge. i only got my shootgun gun 2 weeks ago and i have been out as much as possilbe trying to get the hang of it. had a few pigeons but lucky shots i think.

hi leroy and welcome to pw i dont know what experience you have of shooting live stuff but to help you get a bit more experience on range,giving lead etc maybe you might get alittle bit of practise in on clays first (if you havent already) please dont think i am being critical just trying to help.if you havent got much shooting land you could always come with me on 1 of my permisions providing you have experience of a shotgun and insurance it would most likely be the middle of next week when i will have time to take another newbie out as i am taking 2 lads for a look tommorow afternoon just pm me if i can help you out paul

cheers mate but boss working me like a dog at the minute. and what is time off in the week like?