squirrel tactics

davet99

Hi

Although I have shot the odd one while out shooting the odd wabbit I don’t know the best way to attract these critters.

A friend’s wife is the local red squirrel protector’s best friends and the group regularly set traps and have shooting rights on the land.

I was asked about how best to bate or attract them and I have no idea

Can anyone give me some advice?

Cheers

Dave

Hi I have taken loads of tree rats by using peanut butter smeared on a tree stump,they have to lick it rather than just grab say a peanut and run also been elevated on the tree stump can give you a better shot than on a tree trunk or amongst undergrowth.I use crossman verminpell at about twenty yards, head shot is a must, if you lung shot em they ****** off and you will probably never find them leaving them to die slowly.

ONE SHOT ONE KILL !!!!

Hope this helps all the best Phil

:)

Hi I have taken loads of tree rats by using peanut butter smeared on a tree stump,they have to lick it rather than just grab say a peanut and run also been elevated on the tree stump can give you a better shot than on a tree trunk or amongst undergrowth.I use crossman verminpell at about twenty yards, head shot is a must, if you lung shot em they ****** off and you will probably never find them leaving them to die slowly.

ONE SHOT ONE KILL !!!!

this does work most of the time but a lot of patience is needed,

:good:

ONE SHOT ONE KILL !!!!

this does work most of the time but a lot of patience is needed,

If you can make a little squeaky noise through your teeth, you will get their attention mid-mouthful.

This should be a long enough pause for you to do what you need to do.

It ought not to be overlooked that squirrel makes very good eating, but very tough skinning - see the recipes section for more on turning Mr. Nutkins into Mr. Din-dins.

Regards,

LS