Corrosion

sunshinedave

Just a quick question, I applied some touch-up stick gun blue to my .22's barrel the other day so get rid of some marks, and it did a great job, I forgot to oil it again in those areas before I put it in the cabinet though!.

Anyway, before, the surface was just silvery steel in these areas, no rust. After I applied the gun blue though those areas went rusty almost overnight!

Does this gun blue stick stuff promote corrosion? I was suprised to see that previously it was fine with exposed steel, but as soon as I add supposed protection if rusts!

I think thta gun blue forms a kind of controlled corrosion on the raw steel. I'm no expert on this, but I've got a second hand shotgun I bought in 1975 and about thirty years ago, I treated a part of the barrel with a cold bluing treatment. It has a sort of brown tinge to it. Are you talking rough rustiness or a brown shade where the blue is?

LINK ON BLUING AND CONTOLED CORROSION

Edited by Evilv

I think thta gun blue forms a kind of controlled corrosion on the raw steel. I'm no expert on this, but I've got a second hand shotgun I bought in 1975 and about thirty years ago, I treated a part of the barrel with a cold bluing treatment. It has a sort of brown tinge to it. Are you talking rough rustiness or a brown shade where the blue is?

LINK ON BLUING AND CONTOLED CORROSION

An excellent article Evilv. Well spotted :lol: