novice trainer

tweety pie

I have recently bought my self a lab. He is now 6 monuths old and is comign along well. I have tested him with the gun and to my joy he was not scared or put off. Having not wanting to be to hard on him at a young age I have only trained him to sit, come back to me on comand and walk to heel.

I live on a dairy farm so walks are long and through big fields with long grass. What I was hoping to find out is what things I should be doing with him when I'm walking and if there are any signs I should be looking out for. As this is my fist time training a dog for the gun I dont want to do any thing wrong.

If any one can give me some comments on what to do I would be most grateful.

me_1.bmp

I have recently bought my self a lab. He is now 6 monuths old and is comign along well. I have tested him with the gun and to my joy he was not scared or put off. Having not wanting to be to hard on him at a young age I have only trained him to sit, come back to me on comand and walk to heel.

I live on a dairy farm so walks are long and through big fields with long grass. What I was hoping to find out is what things I should be doing with him when I'm walking and if there are any signs I should be looking out for. As this is my fist time training a dog for the gun I dont want to do any thing wrong.

If any one can give me some comments on what to do I would be most grateful.

Hi imo you shouldnt even be thinking of showing it a gun let alone firing it, you have been fortunate, what would have happened if the pup had run off cowering. There is a mine of information on here regarding training just do some searches and you will find that almost every question has been asked and all answered by experienced and knowledgeable gundog owners....... well most of 'em anyway :good:

There are several very good training books available, pm me if you want a list.

:P D2D

PS it would be good if you filled out your profile, you might be just down the road!!

Edited by dusk2dawn