Lamping

erk108

I have never been lamping for rabbits before and i think i might have to, as the rabbits where i shoot are not coming out during the day.I was wondering if i could use a normal headlamp torch white light or will this scare them away.If so could i just buy filters to attach to my torch.How do you also approach the rabbits with the light.Do yo walk slowly or you have to crawl towards them.How far will they let you approach with the light before you can take a shot.If you have any lamping experience then could you please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

i dont lamp often but i will try help. i like a lamp that beams in a spot rather than something that lights up the whole field.. i also use a white light with no filters.. if your not using a gun mounted lamp you will need somebody to work the lamp, now the thing is he realy needs to be close to your gun when you have it offered up to your eye. if hes 3/4 feet to your right/left you maynot see the eyes as the reflection bill go towards the lamp. if he stands behind you you will be lit in the lamp causing the bunnys to **** off... also you wont beable to see down your scope becouse of the light ...

i would find the warrens and were the bunnys like to go in the day or have a walk with the lamp alone on a previous night and try to get in to shooting range before i flicked the lamp on when you eventualy go lamping.. remember its very quite at night so the only noise will be you.. some wind would be good

dont lamp often but hope this helps

i take it your gun if 12 foot pounds? and your sights are set up at about 30 meters ish. the lamp you use isnt that important when shooting. when you start out if you can see the rabbit and shoot it then this is good enough.the lamp will come will expirience and preferance, so dont worry to much, my first lamp was a car spotlight and the rabbits dont care either.

the idea about the filters are a couple of things they can reduce glare,can be less of a shock to the rabbit, or; and this is i feel the most important, assosiation.

example. ...when a lot of people shoot the land at night with a lamp the rabbits become aware that everytime they see a white beam one of their mates get shot!

you will recognise this by the fact that rabbits run off real quick and you dont get time to take aim. however if you change the colour to red or infact any other colour then they will be more likely to stand a little longer, giving you a better shot. if your lucky you might get a squater! a rabbit that squats down folds his ears back and trys to hide, you might only be able to see the glow of the eyes, but you might if your quiet walk almost within kicking distance.

the best advice i can give you, is listen to what everyone says, but only take in what you think fits, with what you do1 and just go out and get some expirence. happy shooting from your local gunsmith. Daz.

give us a shout if you need anymore help.