hide building/cartridges use

Jono3007

[Hi

I'm a new starter on the pigeon shooting only been a handful of times so far (already hooked)

I have a general question on hide construction ?

what is the general rule on build ? i'm paranoid on keeping face hands "all my white bits covered if you know what i mean ! but when i watch old video and more recent dvd coverage they seem to have no such concerns seeming to have face and gun clearly showing on pigeon approach.

On cartridges a guy that is showing me the ropes recommends 30g no 6 ....most books say no7 1oz any thought on this ?

Jono

Like most things in Pigeon shooting it changes pretty much every time you go dependant on weather, crops, location and how they're feeding. A hide really only needs to break up your outline and keep your white bits covered, if you stay STILL behind it when they approach you shouldn't have too much trouble. I'd be more worried about your deek patterns and fieldcraft than building a hide like Hitler's bunker. Sometimes they'll shy away if your net moves in the wind, other times i've stood virtually in the open and they've poured in totally oblivious. They key is to adapt, if it ain't working change it until it does and try and remember what you did and why and what difference it made. Its called experience and there ain't no substitue for it.

As for cartridges, i wouldn't worry too much there either, if they're in range and you're on target either will knock 'em down, if they aren't in range don't shoot 'cos no-one wants to see pricked birds flying off to die later and you've wasted a cartridge. Obviously the smaller load has less shot and therefore less "killing power" but loads of people shoot with 20 bores which, by their very nature, have less load and don't have any trouble knocking the birds down. I suspect if you looked in my cartridge bag you'd find a mixture of 6s and 7s in various loads. Don't get too hung up on the technicalities, get out there and get shooting.

I'm a novice pigeon shooter also but when hide building I consider some basic rules about camo and concealement which I was taught years ago on a training course. The 'things' that can betray your presence to another human being are ( as I remember) shape, colour, silouhette (spelling!), movement, shine, noise and animals ( dogs, cows, sheep etc). I always bear them in mind when camming up! Depends how aware the quary is also and how distracted it is by other things e'g' crops!

As for loads I'm using No 6's. with 30g in the 12 gauge and 26 in the 20. The birds I hit with the 20 re just as dead as the one's I hit with the 12. Convesley, the ones I miss with either ****** off just as fast!