small bag

nagantino

I had been watching 2 or 3 fields of cut barley near my home and had permissions on them all. One looked very promising on Thursday evening with pigeons,crows and magpies aplenty. I ckecked another field and found the farmer had ploughed it but when I walked over it I put dozens of wood pigeon out of the trees. I thought that this was a good omen so I set up there on Saturday morning at 9.00am. No luck. I shot a magpie, a wood pigeon and crow in 3 hours. I went back to the field I had planned to shoot and set up. Lots of shooting from nearby fields but I think they had a trap or something. When it quietened down the birds came in steady. I shot a few and missed stax but I noticed that the birds all came into the decoys with the steel Wobblers. Even when I put the dead birds out in the pattern they still came into these 2 decoys. They were very realistic and this must prove something about them. I had only 2 boxes of 6's so I was down to a handful of cartridges by now. I have always been interested in the Maintained Lead style so when a woodie flew away from the pattern way high over me I gave it a try. I put the gun the lenght of a car in front and fired. I could not believe it when it crumpled and fell. It must have taken 4 seconds to fall and hit the ground in front of the hide. I laughed.

I have attached 2 pics for vanity. Look at the second one. Its a pity its not better focussed but the bird still has a piece of brown bread in its mouth.

octbirds002.jpg

octbirds002.jpg