Diseased Rabbit help

smsguitarist

I was shooting on friday and shot two rabbits, both of which i think were diseased.

I've never seen mixy before but i think one of them had it due to its peculiar movement and red around the eyes.

The other had these strange boil like lumps on its face, which is the second one like it i've shot this week.

Anybody got any idea about either of these?

Pictures:

DSC00379.jpg

As you can see above there are some strange lumps on its face. Normally i'd think 'infected cuts' but since its the second in two shoots im beginning to wonder.

DSC00380.jpg

Im afraid the pellet left an exit wound on the other eye so i coudn't check both eyes but this to me looks like mixy.

Any help would be good thanks!

Lewis

The main warrens on the 150 acres I shoot on near Stratford upon Avon have been devestated by Myxxie in the last month or so. During spring and summer there were 20-30+ running for the holes everytime I walked the hedges in my main fields. Now I hardly see one and when I do it usually 'lopes' off in that dopey way rabbits do when they have the disease.

It's such a shame. I believe that rabbit is the most wasted meat resource we have in the UK. If people ate it on a wider scale then myxxie would probably never have been invented. That and farmers allowing sensible people to go on their land to shoot them rather than refusing shooters then moaning about the numbers.

Best

redkite

Nasty old disease. It hit hard around here last autumn. Theres still not very many about over a year later. I expect the numbers will be creeping up again next year though.

A few years back there was an outbreak of RVHD in the immediate area around the farm. It wiped out very warren on our ground within half a mile of the farm. It was over a year before we even saw rabbits in the area again. Unlike myxy, it doesn't take long to kill the rabbit once symptoms show. My sisters pet rabbit died within 6 hours of us noticing that it wasn't right. Anyone else seen it before?

Gareth