Feeling remorse after shooting

duckdog

The worst remorse i have had from shooting was the first time i had to ring the neck of a pigeon. It did not help that its head came off but i just did what i had seen done to pheasants before. i felt very bad after that but i feel it gets easier ever time you do it. I feel the gun puts a distance between the hunter and the quarry that they seek. However as has been said, the excitement of my first deer soon over took any anxiety i had about taking the shot the life that would follow. Keep the respect for your quarry and you shall be have nothing to worry about.

George

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens to us all and actually makes you a better person for feelign that way. I know two people that have shot for more 30+ years a piece from when they were teenagers, but now will only shoot targets and clays. They both say that they've just shot too much live quarry and no longer enjoyed the experience when out doing so, so gave up. If I didn't feel remorse at all I personally would give up.

I know people that go shooting on a regular basis and don't even eat what they shoot :good: I've offered to prepare it for them, in case thats the reason (Some people just can't do it), but they say that they just don't like the taste no matter what or how its cooked. These are the people that have no right to go out shooting especially game/wildfowl when they have no respect for what it is they are shooting at and trying to end its life.

The Originator of this thread was a 14 year old lad and it was brave question to ask, and one that shows he has the right attitude to the sport as a whole. What is it they say "Out of the mouth of babes"..................

SS

It happens to us all and actually makes you a better person for feelign that way. I know two people that have shot for more 30+ years a piece from when they were teenagers, but now will only shoot targets and clays. They both say that they've just shot too much live quarry and no longer enjoyed the experience when out doing so, so gave up. If I didn't feel remorse at all I personally would give up.

SS

I agree and as you say so would most people, it is a common thread in hunter gatherer communities, especially in native american indians, inuits and other similar cultures that once a prey has been killed the hunter wil quietly thank the animal and praise it's life so as to appease it's spirit, they celebrate it's life and the lives it will sutain by it's death, you may think this is a load of tosh, but I think respect for all life is a good thing espeicially in the times we live in now.