Alone in the field

Hi everybody,

I'm a new pigeon shooter and the inexperience it's taking all my cartridges away and leave me with no pigeons.

What I'm looking for his someone that lives in the West Midlands and his prepared to go a few times shooting toghether.

Of course all paper work in order and I have all the gear that is required (that didn't make any difference for the pigeons).

Thanks

Marco

Well I could use many excuses but I think that one of my many problems it's timeing due to rush for the shot, I'm quite a good clay pigeon shooter and rough shooting.

What I need is someone that will share tips and tricks in the field, how to hide and how to attract many pigeons with the decoys.

Marco,

I'm new to pigeon hunting too and share some of the same frustrations. I've found the birds I'm hunting here in Venezuela to be extremely sharp-eyed and very elusive in flight....taking evasive action if they spot me before I fire.

Since I start each hunt without decoys, or a store-bought hide for that matter, my problems are compounded. I've focused my hunts on an area where the birds tend to congregate for resting and then watering. I've tried to match my clothing for the color of the surrounding bushes and I hold very tight until the last second. I'm also handicapped by having to shoot a single-shot in full choke so in order to bag birds close-in (my favorite shot), I'm really having to focus on that one and only shot opportunity.

Anyway, the first few birds I bag are used for decoys set in nearby bushes and this at least helps focus the incoming birds' attention.

I've always found that when there's a lot of action, I shoot much better if I calm down and try to concentrate on what I know to be my higher percentage shots. In similar shooting situations in the States, where I was using my Browning Auto 5 on doves, I also shoot better if I pretty much forget about that third shot and shoot as though I've got only two chances at the bird.

Anyway, there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum from pigeon hunters with many years of experience under their belts. You've found the right place!

Good luck on future hunts and keep us posted on your success.

El Gringo