Unbelievable!!

ferretmanabu

Went out shooting on Saturday on NPPC land around Leicester. Set up hide and decoys, sat for 3-4 hours watching pigeons flying over fields far away. Didn't get to fire a single shot. #

In the end, I decided to pack up and go to another field so I put the gun in the slip and start taking the hide down. And guess what?! The first pigeon to commit to my decoys lands to 5 yards to the side of my decoys! And this was with me standing outside the hide in the process of taking it down. I couldn't believe it.

Lesson learnt; The gun should be the last thing to pack away!!

Any one of the following, either alone or (much better) in combination, are well known useful ways to make a pigeon come within range after half an hour or more of absolutely no action:

light a cigarette, pour a cup of tea, open your box of sandwiches, tidy your hide, make a phone call, have a snooze, tend to your decoys, pull your old chap out for a pee, walk around - whatever - just make sure that it is absolutely certain that you can't possibly mount your gun. Then they will come at that moment.

But in my experience by far the best way by far is to decide (genuinely - you have really to believe it yourself - no cheating) that you've had enough and put your gun away. The best time to see pigeons is just when you have put your gun away and have collected all your kit. :)