C&E

Yorkshire Pudding

Does anybody work for customs , as i find the website a bit confusing on my duty paid limits .

" Current Duty and Tax Paid Allowances (Travel within the EU)

Created on 16th of August 2007 Last Modified on the 17th of August 2007

Although EU law permits individuals to purchase unlimited quantities of goods that are duty and tax paid in another Member State, and to carry them back to their home country without any further liability for duty or tax, they must both be transported personally and be for their own personal consumption only.

In order to combat abuse of this privilege by smugglers taking advantage of the significant differences in tax and duty rates across the EU, Member States are permitted to apply "minimum indicative levels" for exciseable goods. Travellers with excise goods in excess of these levels may be challenged, and possibly prosecuted, if checks reveal that the goods are for a commercial use rather then personal consumption. The standard minimum levels across the EU are as follows:

Alcohol:

10 litres of spirits

20 litres of fortified wine

90 litres of wine (including a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wine)

110 litres of beer

Tobacco:

3200 cigarettes

400 cigarillos

200 cigars

3 kg tobacco "

Now does this mean i can bring the lot back I.E

3200 tabs nad 3kg of baccy

or is it an either or situation .. I.E.

3200 tabs OR 3kg baccy

all the best yis yp :wacko:

Does anybody work for customs , as i find the website a bit confusing on my duty paid limits .

" Current Duty and Tax Paid Allowances (Travel within the EU)

Created on 16th of August 2007 Last Modified on the 17th of August 2007

Although EU law permits individuals to purchase unlimited quantities of goods that are duty and tax paid in another Member State, and to carry them back to their home country without any further liability for duty or tax, they must both be transported personally and be for their own personal consumption only.

In order to combat abuse of this privilege by smugglers taking advantage of the significant differences in tax and duty rates across the EU, Member States are permitted to apply "minimum indicative levels" for exciseable goods. Travellers with excise goods in excess of these levels may be challenged, and possibly prosecuted, if checks reveal that the goods are for a commercial use rather then personal consumption. The standard minimum levels across the EU are as follows:

Alcohol:

10 litres of spirits

20 litres of fortified wine

90 litres of wine (including a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wine)

110 litres of beer

Tobacco:

3200 cigarettes

400 cigarillos

200 cigars

3 kg tobacco "

Now does this mean i can bring the lot back I.E

3200 tabs nad 3kg of baccy

or is it an either or situation .. I.E.

3200 tabs OR 3kg baccy

all the best yis yp :wacko:

I would say the lot otherwise it would say "or".

you can bring as many cigs etc back from a eu country those limits are a guide line ie 3200 cigs should last 6 months i brought 72 sticks back last year and was stopped by customs but as they was same brand i was a take them all you are doing nothing illegal as long as they are for your own use. they try to make things awkward. and now people who have goods taken off them are suing customs and getting their goods back i kept saying to them am i doing anything illegal and they would not answear? hope this helps

Before I quit smoking, me and the missus used to go over twice a year and bring back 10,000 each time (i.e 5000 each)

We got stopped a couple of times, but just said they were for personal consumption. We explained that 5000 cigs over 6 months was between 20-30 a day, not unreasonable.

We had no problems. I think where you can run into trouble is if you go over regularly. I believe they keep records of registration numbers going through the ports and if we were seen to be going over frequently, and having 10,000 fags in the car on each occasion, we would have had a problem.