First driven shoot tomo...tips and guidance

ironduke

Evening all

Im going to the keepers shoot tomo at the estate i work on. I have shot since i was a wee un but this is my first driven day and i was looking for any tips and advice. Im clued up on general safety and the like but would be grateful for any advice you guys can give on etiquette etc, one thing ive always wondered is....when you are at your peg and looking forward towards where the birds will be coming from (i.e. 12 o'clock is straight ahead) how many "degrees" either side does ettiquette allow you to shoot? if anything i will prob be over cautious and obviousley know better than to take dangerous shots, however i dont want to get shouted at for taking a neighbours bird....

ta in advance....im off to clean my gun (didnt get a sausage during this afternoons "warm up" mooch round the fields :good:

About 45% is OK but check yourself its better to let it go than shoot a low bird or poach a neighbours. Make sure there's sky under the bird. Take a tip or a bottle for the keeper. Introduce yourself when you arrive and don't outshoot the owner! Pick up spent cartridges, shut gates and generally be helpful. Congratulate neighbours on good shots and be looking the other way if they're struggling.

About 45% is OK but check yourself its better to let it go than shoot a low bird or poach a neighbours. Make sure there's sky under the bird. Take a tip or a bottle for the keeper. Introduce yourself when you arrive and don't outshoot the owner! Pick up spent cartridges, shut gates and generally be helpful. Congratulate neighbours on good shots and be looking the other way if they're struggling.

All of the above and - enjoy it!!!

When you are stood on the peg it will be obvious if the bird is yours or not. Very good tip about taking a bottle for the owner/keeper. Make sure you thank them for the day at the end.

One thing I would add is to make sure you ask which way the drive is going to come from and make sure you know where the beaters are - nothing worse than being covered in pellets....

ATB and let us know how you got on...

Peely

Evening all

Im going to the keepers shoot tomo at the estate i work on. I have shot since i was a wee un but this is my first driven day and i was looking for any tips and advice. Im clued up on general safety and the like but would be grateful for any advice you guys can give on etiquette etc, one thing ive always wondered is....when you are at your peg and looking forward towards where the birds will be coming from (i.e. 12 o'clock is straight ahead) how many "degrees" either side does ettiquette allow you to shoot? if anything i will prob be over cautious and obviousley know better than to take dangerous shots, however i dont want to get shouted at for taking a neighbours bird....

ta in advance....im off to clean my gun (didnt get a sausage during this afternoons "warm up" mooch round the fields ;)

Depends how well you know your neighbouring guns :yes:

If in doubt, let them give it both barrels then wipe his eye if he misses :yes:

Enjoy your day, have a good laugh and most importantly, enjoy yourself.

ATB,

Jonno