Long Range Shooting - No More Guessing

Subsonic Flyer

With all this talk on long range shooting some people may be interested in giving it a try. Occasionally everyone will pull off a great shot but to do it consistently requires a good knowledge of the basics and some scientific help. Before I start, I would advise you to practise on targets for the obvious reasons and only hunt within your ability.

There are two main factors to consider when taking long range shots, bullet drop and windage. The rate the bullet drops after it leaves the barrel need not be guesswork, it is predictable, yes angle of shot, air pressure and temperature will come into play but unless you are looking for extreme levels of accuracy they can be considered later.

Bullet Drop

There are three things you need to know to accurately gauge the bullet drop between you and the target, the velocity of your bullet, your rifles zero and the range to the target. If you know the velocity and your zero I would recommend using Pinsoft Shoot 3 (free download) to get you started with some trajectory charts. They are remarkably accurate. You then only need to know the target range to accurately compensate for the drop. A range finder is invaluable for this style of shooting

There are three main ways to apply the required adjustment for bullet drop, holdover (an educated guess) using a scope with a mildot or other graduated reticule (better) or using the turret adjustment on your scope (the most accurate).

Windage

Heavy bullets travelling at high speeds are less affected by the wind. As an example even at 400yards a .243 100g bullet with a 10mph crosswind will be blown off target approximately 12 inches but a .223 55g for the same shot will move 25 inches. With practice you can estimate the wind by eye (trees, flags etc - educated guess) or you can buy a hand held wind meter. The difficulty with wind speeds is that it can vary in several places between you and the target making it harder to predict, even a slight breeze can affect the point of impact at long range. Shoot 3 will again help you here and provide accurate windage predictions.

Why not give it a try. If you have a rifle that can shoot reasonable groups, small targets at long ranges will soon be within your reach. I have posted a couple of examples of my trajectory and windage charts, one is for turret adjustment the other for use with mildots.

SF

You can get Shoot at Pinsoft

post-11-1110236184.jpg

or you can have a play about on this i found it very helpful...............

CLICK HERE

RANGEFINDERS: if you are going to buy one dont do as i did! i tried lots of different types and got rid of them coz they where basicly ****. if you're going to get one i would whole heartedly recomend a leica 1200, these are the dogs wotsists............................ :thumbs: :D:/

Edited by tommy trucker