First Lesson

gwb

HI all

Have just had my first lesson and only my second go at clays, shot 75 clays hit about 50. So am fairly pleased and enjoyed it very much.

We shot going away and left to right crossers, the problem I had with left to right crossers is that my normal prescription glasses were getting in the way as the top of the rim was cutting my vision horizontaly]in my right eye as I swung with the target. In the end I had to remove them.

Can anyone recommend or give advice on some prescription shooting glasses. I have seen the ones with the inserts but do not want to spend money on them if I find that they sit too low. I am not really concerned about what tint to have as I will probably go for clear anyway.

One problem I did have was that I have eye dominance issues that were not sorted out at the time, as initaly I seemed to be

hitting the clays o.k. but later on i was getting a confused sight picture?

Anyway im hooked and ready for the reduction in bank balance :yes:

Cheers

Try to find a gun shop that sells the shooting glasses with the insert for a perscription and have a go with them on swinging a gun to see if they will work for you or not. Or even ask someone at the club you're going to if you can try on theirs!

I'm blind as a bat without either my contacts or glasses so not using them wouldn't be an option as i'd be lucky to be even facing the right way around :yes: If i can't wear my contacts for whatever reason i have a pair of shooting glasses with the perscription insert and they work fine for me - they're made by Guarder. I think the glasses were about £20 and it was £80 to get my perscription in.

Hope this helps

Mark

Try these links for shooting glasses at a reasonable price .

http://www.optilabs.com/site/product.php?p...2&prodid=17

http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.uk/

Shooting glasses are designed to sit high on the nose so that with your head on the stock you look through the centre of the lens . The insert system is the cheapest and most people find such glasses effective.

If you think you have eye dominance problems I would suggest you go and see a good coach who should be able to help you find a solution .

:yes:

Edited by T.C.

On the recommendation of my shooting coach, I got these: Optilabs

I found them awkward to deal with when they got fogged up or covered in raindrops, and I was still finding that the frames of the inserts interfered with my view.

So then I got a pair of these: Zeiss

I'm very happy with them. I didn't choose them in the first place because they were more expensive, but I wish I'd gone straight to them.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I have nowhere near that i can try on a pair of glasses with the inserts. Also I have feeling that they would still interfere with my vision. So I will look for the Zeiss. I will mostly be shooting clays with some rough shooting, so I guess clear lenses or reactalite? lenses would be best? Anyone have advice on what tint of lense?

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I have nowhere near that i can try on a pair of glasses with the inserts. Also I have feeling that they would still interfere with my vision. So I will look for the Zeiss. I will mostly be shooting clays with some rough shooting, so I guess clear lenses or reactalite? lenses would be best? Anyone have advice on what tint of lense?

I went with clear Zeiss, after talking to Simon Goldsmith (FCOptom, DCLP, Sports Vision Optometrist) at

J.H.STEWARD (BISLEY) LTD

70 Hollway Road, Stockwood, Bristol, BS14 8PG, UK

Tel: +44(0)1275 838532

email: info@stewardsportsglasses.co.uk

He was very knowledgeable and helpful, giving advice that took my prescription and age into account.

Re: eye dominence:

Do you shoot right or left handed?

Which is your dominent Eye?

I had this trouble, i shoot right handed, left eye dominent, was told i eitherneed a specialy adapted stock because my head wouldnt sit straight against the stock. then was told i could use an eye patch instead!

Sod that, just closed me left eye, shouldered me gun an was away like a good `un! :rolleyes::ninja:

Re: eye dominence:

Do you shoot right or left handed?

Which is your dominent Eye?

I had this trouble, i shoot right handed, left eye dominent, was told i eitherneed a specialy adapted stock because my head wouldnt sit straight against the stock. then was told i could use an eye patch instead!

Sod that, just closed me left eye, shouldered me gun an was away like a good `un!

Hi

I shoot right handed and left eye dominant. It was the left to right crosser that caused the problem.I picked up the target and as it came across I then noticed that the my eyes were straining and my sight picture became confused. Its hard to explain especially to someone who is right eye dominant. This wasnt helped either by my prescription glasses.

With regard to my glasses I have been to a high street opticians who have ray-bans sunglasses that fit well, my only question is that they can be polarized. Does it help if they are polarized. I am aware that they cut glare but will it make a big difference when shooting rough or clays?

I personally do not like polarised lenses for shooting .

Do be careful to make sure the glasses sit very high on your nose . I would suggest you try to find a way of trying them while shooting or at least while dry mounting your gun.

Edited by T.C.