What can BASC do for airguns

David BASC

At the end of 2008 a survey was mailed to all BASC airgun members.

Results of BASC survey:

1) Looking the level of communication from BASC on airgunning:

• 65% of the respondents were interested in an e-mail newsletter on airgunning and issues that impact on airgunning

• 50% wanted more features on airgunning in S&C

• Discounts of products were not important

2) When asked what was the most important thing for BASC to do for airgunning:

• The single most important thing that BASC must be seen to be doing for airgunning is political lobbying.

• The second most important thing that BASC must be seen to be doing is lobbying the media

• Competitions in S&C to win an airgun or equipment , or competitions at shows and events were not seen as important by the majority of respondents.

3) Most airgunners take part in different forms of airgun shooting, as follows:

• 79% live quarry shooting

• 63% informal target shooting at home

• 36% informal target shooting at a club

• 15% formal target shooting

4) It was evident that airgunners want more shooting:

• 54 % were interested in joining a club

• 41% of those who are currently involved in formal and informal target shooting are interested in going live quarry shooting.

5) What type of airguns do our members own and use?

• Most member will own up to three rifles

• 60% of our members own spring powered airguns

• 78 % of our members own pre charged airguns

• 20% own air pistols

On the Airgun BBS Forum the issues that seem to be most on airgunners minds are:

1) Media attention on misuse of airguns. Airgunners see this as a constant threat, as any misuse is almost always reported and puts airguns on the back foot. When ever there is a piece in the media about someone or some pet being shot by an idiot with an airgun, there never seems to be a counter argument from ‘BASC’ to condemn it and stress that this idiot is not representative of the airgunning community, just like the joy rider is representative of the motoring public as a whole.

2) Current legislation on airguns be in ‘capable’ of exceeding 12 ft lbs resulting in the owner suffering a criminal conviction even though the gun / ammo combination he has is not capable of over 12 ft lbs.

Moves by the industry to introduce ‘tamper proof’ PCP guns have not gone down well with some sectors of the market.

3) Political threat – some see there is a very real risk of PCP being banned or going onto Sect 1, they see airguns in general and PCP in particular being a soft political target.

4) Target shooting- airgunners seem very keen on target shooting and the need to practice on targets before going live quarry shooting. The Field Target and Hunter Field Target clubs need more promotion to get more people shooting at these clubs.

Suggested Action

BASC needs to refresh the plan on airguns that will involve other organisations, manufacturers and individuals who have influence in the airgun market. The plan is to hold an initial meeting at Marford Mill before the end of May and invite along those that we believe can help us focus the strategy and help re-focus the plan.

Now over to you guys – what would you like to see on the agenda of this meeting?

David

more work also neads to be done to convince traditional shooters that the air rifle is a valid and useful gun/tool for pest control/sport.i shoot shotguns,rimfires and air rifles,and nothing pees me off than people looking down on air gun use,and im sad to say it even happens on here.most of the people that i hear this attitude from away from this forum are traditional BASC members[oh look at you with your toy gun attitude].this is not meant as a go at anyone in particular,and i applaud the BASC as a whole,i just feel more could be done to include air gunners,particulary as we are a fair sized proportion of the shooting comunity.good luck :lol::lol::lol:

that beast of yours certainly aint no toy lee.jealous as hell mate :good::lol::lol:

If you should make it over the pond you can shoot it till you get sick of the thing, but remember you only get 6 to 8 shots per fill :lol: But thats just part of the fun :lol:

i agree about the airguns being looked down on, but seriosuly, im pretty sure that a good chunk of the shooting community started off with a little springer before moving on to shotguns and rifles ect, i mean i get really annoyed when people are like "HAHA thats no gun a blow gun has more power" i get really ****** off... but as for BASC i think they should involve us a bit more in S&C and also have BASC shooting ranges esspecially for air rifles, or like have a few Ranges around the uk that basc dont own but are associated with and then like BASC airgun members should get a discount entry, to like zeroe scopes and such... would be nice, probably doesnt sound great but heck i dont care, it is my 2 cents...

Remember here folks that airgunning is that last branch, some would say "bastion" of informal shooting that does not need a licence, short of the pomposity of the archery lot, who are not allowed to hunt in the UK and look down their noses at the airgunner and arbellist who they consider lowlife.

(Incidentally the law is an a$$ in this respect, because archery equipment often is more powerful than any airgun, yet they can delivery over 100 ft/lbs to target and still no licence needed!)

For those of us who work away (Like me a defence contractor) I enjoy being a member of an airgun club (North Herts AWC) and enjoy shooting regularly. As I do not own my own home, I cannot, and moreso, do not want to have to justify the need for a fully bolted cabinet and all the other rigmerall that goes with SGC & FAC ownership & shooting.

Most who do shoot SGC and FAC will have owned an airgun at some stage.

Airguns do have their place, as they can be used in situations where more power is just too overbearing. I.e. Where anything more powerful would have a too large a Maximum energy boundary and what are we going to hit if we miss with the XY or Z rimfire/centrefire.

Yes the BSAC should stick up for airgunners. They do constitute a significant number on the membership side.

Keep up the good work BASC in promoting all forms of shooting, but we do desperately need to stop chavs, and the like from getting them, as the few will always ruin it for the responsible many.

Just my politically incorrect 6 pen'th.

Tufty

we nead more education on responsible airgun use in schools rather like the ATEO are trying to do in staffordshire,they even have the police backing their scheme.why not push for school airgun clubs/ranges,it wouldnt take much to create a range in a gym.lets push to remove all this gung ho glory attitude created by film/television and video games and teach the discipline that is required to handle all firearms[air rifles included]that surely is our major strength as a sport when people are worried about unruly youth culture.my own experience through the scout association and work is if you can find a usefull or fulfilling outlet for youthfull energy it is very easy to steer the young away from trouble.now if the BASC as the largest representative organisation of our sport seriously wants to protect it for future generations then thats where youve got to start,with air guns in schools :blush::good::oops:

i would go with that. air gun traning in schools as an afterschoolclub or something would be very woth while. i wish we had that when i was at school. although i could see this being a chalenge to persuade the head teacher that it was a good idea. youth groups and scouts on the other hand would be a far easyer to do. but with the backing of an organisation such as basc this could work well.

Yeah the only trouble is that with all the do gooders about, anything which mentions shooting and schools even in the same breath, let alone the same context is likely to bring out the anti's and reminiscence of Dunblane. This we don't need, as many of you I know are responsible former handgun owners and shooters.

At the present in the scouts and moreso in the cadet forces (ATC ACF CCF SCC) there is some form of shooting in the form of at the very basic Airguns and at the best full on centrefire rifle shooting.

Get more people into the cadet forces and you end up with more people who have at least got the basic fundamentals of weapon handling and a respect for their use. :hmm:

regards

Tufty