Shooting pigeons in spring

inshallah

Hi all. Just joined the forum.

I've recently moved to a wood in Wales and I'm a little bit disappointed with the pigeon count. By the canal where I'd been living in West London there were hundreds of woodies, so tame you could almost reach out and grab them by hand. I've had 1 so far in Wales with my .22 AA S310, and had another in my sights last night, but with the sun behind I wasn't 100% sure it was a pigeon (the clap clap as it flew away told me I could have taken the shot. Damn!). I see more in my neighbour's wood, but I haven't popped the question yet...

I was wondering, how much impact does shooting at this time of year have on the pigeon population later in the year? I want to shoot pigeons for meat, so I want to bag as many as possible over the year. I realise it's supposed to be pest control, but nobody can 'make' me shoot until later in the summer. Will other birds just come and fill the vacuum if you thin them out in one area? Also, does anyone have any moral opinions on shooting in the breeding season?

I was also wondering, is it worth my while getting some decoys? I'm just sitting around waiting for them to land in a tree at the moment. If so, what should I get? I don't want to spend more than I think I can save in the meat isle at Tescos.

Cheers,

Dave

you can loft decoys on the cheap by getting a ball of nylon string (thin tough stuff), attaching a weight to one end and throwing/catapulting it over some high branches, then pull the decoy up.

not ideal as they swing about a bit, but it's better than nothing.

As far as shooting in breeding season - pigeons actually breed all year round, though mostly at this time - i wouldn't worry about shooting them as they're so prolific (hence a pest with no season).

Edited by nickbeardo