pump actions

darren m

Neil -- what would you consider suitable as a starter PSG gun ??

Are they all FAC ??

Whats the most popular shotgun for this type of shooting ??

What rounds /ammo do you use for this ??

thanks again

Darren

Darren

Just to give it a try you can use any section 2 shotgun but to be competative you will need a gun that can hold 9 rounds, so FAC is needed but not hard to get if you join a dedicated club like Border's where membership is only £30 a year.

In semi-auto the Benelli M2 is the dominant gun for PSG worldwide, but Winchester SX2 & SX3 are also popular, some people are still soldiering on with the old Remington 1100/1187's & providing you know how to keep them running they are OK.

In pump action division the Benelli nova & supernova are the undisputed king of the hill over here & also across europe, lots of guys from the USA are also switching to them, other good choices are again Winchester 1200 & 1300s & you will also see a small number of Remington 870's & Mossberg's.

For steel plates standard birdshot is used #6 or 7 shot is fine, I use gamebore #7.5 fibre wad in 28g loads & they are cheap.

At some matches you will need buckshot & also slugs, but they are not used in every match.

Hope that helps

N

neil - i,m tempted :no: , i,ve owned various semi-auto's in the past ( along with s/s o/u etc ) , but out of preference for this type of shooting i would prefer a pump.

i owned one of the 1st benny nova's a few years back , how does the supernova compare to them

I'm very new to shooting.

My first experience was when I attended the UKPSA basic course. After two full days of training, safety was fully instilled in me.

Then when I bought my first gun, I went along to the local clay ground to try it out and I was staggered by the lack of regard for safety. I presumed that what I had learned was normal but there were people in the car-park shouldering each others guns and muzzle sweeping everyone, nobody had safety glasses on, no flags are required in semi-autos... The list goes on.

I haven't been to any other clay grounds so I don't know if this is typical or not.

What's it like where you shoot?

right then who has got the oldest pump action? mine is ancient but can anyone beat it for age. mine was built in 1962

neil - i,m tempted :no: , i,ve owned various semi-auto's in the past ( along with s/s o/u etc ) , but out of preference for this type of shooting i would prefer a pump.

i owned one of the 1st benny nova's a few years back , how does the supernova compare to them

Darren

The supernova has a few differences but in essence is the same gun, most parts will interchange, barrel,bolt,forend, the biggest difference is the detachable stock & different trigger guard profile, the new comfortec stock is very good & they seem to be taking the punishment that PSG gives them very well.

The best thing about shooting in pump division is that its cheap to get into, almost any pump gun will do to get you started, which is good news for new entrants into the game.

Its great fun & thats all that matters really, give it a try.

N

Heres my Supernova. I just had it moved over from S2 to S1 this week :-)

The mag tube sticks slightly out beyond the end of the barell but it doesnt seem to cause a problem.

I am looking to get into PSG... so now I can give it a go!

benelli1.jpg

I recently joined Worcester Norton and they have a seperate area for PSG so maybe I can get down there for some practice.

In fact, on my induction there I met Neil Smith from here..

Edited by pbickerd

The mag tube sticks slightly out beyond the end of the barell but it doesnt seem to cause a problem.

In fact, on my induction there I met Neil Smith from here..

Hi pbickerd

Im guessing you were the tall guy ? :good:

Having a longer mag tube than the barrel is very common on many PSG guns, all that happens is you get some burnt powder deposits on the tube, it will clean off OK.

I hope to see you at Worcester again, I plan to use the "shotgun pit" a lot more this year seeing as a good mate of mine has also joined & the fact we both have a euro championship in september to practice for, I can drop you a line before hand if you would like to join us there.

N

Edited by neil smith

Hi pbickerd

Im guessing you were the tall guy ? :lol:

Having a longer mag tube than the barrel is very common on many PSG guns, all that happens is you get some burnt powder deposits on the tube, it will clean off OK.

I hope to see you at Worcester again, I plan to use the "shotgun pit" a lot more this year seeing as a good mate of mine has also joined & the fact we both have a euro championship in september to practice for, I can drop you a line before hand if you would like to join us there.

N

Yeh that was me :lol:

I was there just earlier today actually shooting my .308. I might see you down there sometime if you dont mind having a total PSG newbie running around dropping cartridges everywhere and missing a lot :good:

I might see you down there sometime if you dont mind having a total PSG newbie running around dropping cartridges everywhere and missing a lot :oops:

I still do that now :yes:

No problem at all mate, look forward to it.

N

Darren

Im not aware of any dedicated PSG clubs in your local area but I will ask for you.

We created a PSG club on a farm, land suitable for clay shooting should also be OK for PSG with birdshot.

N