Pike with lures

ziplex

Dont know the area so cant help there, but I'd leave it till after the closed season or you might get your collar felt.

Good point, realise about the closed season but was after info' prior to dusting down the rods..........i've had a 6ft ABU trigger grip rod with a tiny multiplier loaded with 20lb braid propped up against the boiler for god knows how long, never wetted a line with it, would be nice to give it a try.

Anyone else in the know, any other areas worth a try, Glos, Wilts, Devon, Avon etc???

I thought most of the area down there was club owned or something

the Brother in law did do some or knew someone who did loads of piking down there and sure he was a member of a club or had to get a ticket to fish it.

All those small ditches around that area are suppose to hold some pike and i have heard their are some big beauties down there.....have a chat with the guys at Veals they will know.

Going to have ago at the Pike myself this year :sick:

Should of added seen a nice one out of the Avon Keynsham end, which is just down the road from me.

Seen a Double come out, the guy was using eel for bait..they say there is a pike every 20 yds...so they say in the Avon

The old Lido down in Fishponds hold Pike but again its club waters and think it is fishable all year, ou club dont have any Pike just Carp and Silver Fish

I thought most of the area down there was club owned or something

the Brother in law did do some or knew someone who did loads of piking down there and sure he was a member of a club or had to get a ticket to fish it.

All those small ditches around that area are suppose to hold some pike and i have heard their are some big beauties down there.....have a chat with the guys at Veals they will know.

Going to have ago at the Pike myself this year :sick:

Thanks for the info'.....i'll be down at Highbridge next week so i'll pop into Thayers(?). I fished sections of Kings Sedgmore drain many years ago, there were parts that were free stretch back then, or so we thought :D but being young, reckless and carefree we didn't worry. Obviously times have changed and 'dumb ignorance' wouldn't cut it now, what with threats of a £5000 fine and all :P I did go to Cheddar Reservoir a few times, never caught any but seen some very good fish come from there, again a very long time back now though. You mention stretches of the Avon, I spoke to a chap who fished the section under the bridge just off the A4 Bath road, apparently one side was club owned the other free. If I find out any info' i'll PM the details, i've no problem paying to fish btw but i'd like to be able to go on a whim for an hour or two with the dog and rod :oops:

Thanks for the info'.....i'll be down at Highbridge next week so i'll pop into Thayers(?). I fished sections of Kings Sedgmore drain many years ago, there were parts that were free stretch back then, or so we thought :oops: but being young, reckless and carefree we didn't worry. Obviously times have changed and 'dumb ignorance' wouldn't cut it now, what with threats of a £5000 fine and all :D I did go to Cheddar Reservoir a few times, never caught any but seen some very good fish come from there, again a very long time back now though. You mention stretches of the Avon, I spoke to a chap who fished the section under the bridge just off the A4 Bath road, apparently one side was club owned the other free. If I find out any info' i'll PM the details, i've no problem paying to fish btw but i'd like to be able to go on a whim for an hour or two with the dog and rod :sick:

Stretches are free water and others are part of the Bristol and West affiliation, I think st Annes up to the Chequers pub is free water and the B&W bit starts at the small bridge at Jackie Whites to Swineford (I fish this via the club) but i think the Frys side of the river is all private land..

There is a reservoir at Bridgewater what i have fished £5 per day and as Bream and Pike .

Have you fished any of the ponds down at the Apex leisure centre BOS, parents overlook this from thei flat

There is a reservoir at Bridgewater what i have fished £5 per day and as Bream and Pike .

Have you fished any of the ponds down at the Apex leisure centre BOS, parents overlook this from thei flat

No.......I assumed that was mainly carp, roach etc. To be honest I was walking the dogs just the other day along the Huntspill and I thought how nice it might be to have a wander with the rod, don't want to hump loads of kit or anything, just stay mobile and give the Pointer a look at a pike maybe :sick:

Good point, realise about the closed season but was after info' prior to dusting down the rods..........i've had a 6ft ABU trigger grip rod with a tiny multiplier loaded with 20lb braid propped up against the boiler for god knows how long, never wetted a line with it, would be nice to give it a try.

Anyone else in the know, any other areas worth a try, Glos, Wilts, Devon, Avon etc???

seriously mate get rid of the abu rod !! i bought a brand new one as it was small and looked decent !!! went to a estate lake and did 5 cats with a lure and the rod snapped near the trigger grip !! in went the rod tip and the reed and me stood there holding the trigger lol ! had to use other rod to hook the line and get my reel back ,, they would prob be ok for casting a spinner of about qauter ounce for perch but no good for pike as you will get the SNAP!!

seriously mate get rid of the abu rod !! i bought a brand new one as it was small and looked decent !!! went to a estate lake and did 5 cats with a lure and the rod snapped near the trigger grip !! in went the rod tip and the reed and me stood there holding the trigger lol ! had to use other rod to hook the line and get my reel back ,, they would prob be ok for casting a spinner of about qauter ounce for perch but no good for pike as you will get the SNAP!!

I must admit it was bought years ago with other things in mind, looks pretty strong to me though...maybe if I get somewhere sorted i'll take the bass rod, (Conoflex) and bigger reel instead then, plenty of tackle in the box that needs an airing! To be honest i'd sort of forgot just how much kit i've got :yes:

Edit: just dug out the rod in question......ABU Conolon, 7', casting weight 1/4 - 1oz, lines 10-20lb, Reel: ABU 4600 C3. Any good do you think or not man enough?

Edited by ziplex

• 2 weeks later...